Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Realtek RTL8192SU driver compiling issues

Beans

Re: Realtek RTL8192SU driver compiling issues

@wannabeerased,

I think they're 32bit, actually :-/. Realtek is real quick with emailing drivers if you email them with a request. Why they can't just post them on their website, I don't know.

@ chili555,

My card isn't seeing any networks. This could be because it looks like Wicd doesn't see my card. But you're right, from that message it does look like it should be working. When I get off work I'll switch from Wicd and give network manager another shot. I'll also clean up my blacklist stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My card has the Realtek rtl8192su usb chipset.
    I am working on several Realtek issues on this forum, all of which have the same symptoms. The driver grabs the device, an interface is created, wlanx, usually, but the device will not scan for networks and Network Manager will not allow it to connect. Everything looks perfect except it doesn't work.

I have been searching extensively and found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=97

I was especially interested in this part:
    For those that are using laptops with internal wifi cards and trying to use an external usb wifi dongle, on mine the internal must be on i.e. blue light for any external wifi dongle to work.

Once it connects I have to click on network manager and it will show both adapters are connected then click on disconnect for the internal card.
    And this:
    I originally disabled the internal adapter in Windows. This is the major stumbling block that prevents having a wireless connection even though ndiswrapper is on, driver installed and device recognized.
    This also means that any blacklists for your internal card must be removed.

You, Mr. NeverSage, have been selected to be our test pilot! Please remove all your Broadcom blacklists and push that wireless switch to activate your internal card. Now see if your external USB device comes to life. I have my fingers crossed.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    You, Mr. NeverSage, have been selected to be our test pilot! Please remove all your Broadcom blacklists and push that wireless switch to activate your internal card. Now see if your external USB device comes to life. I have my fingers crossed.
    I have some great news! After I removed Wicd and reinstalled the network manager, everything works! I did this following all of chili555's advice. Actually, I got it working before I did your most recent advice (above). Thanks for the help! I'll try to pay it forward to the best of my ability

Beans
    Distro

Great news! I am glad it's working for you. Enjoy.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Soooooo it's back to not working again. I just installed lucid, recompiled the driver, and was setting up the card. It works, I'm posting this through that computer in fact, the problem is every time I reboot I have to manually load the module by cd-ing to the directory and doing

Code:
    sudo insmod 8712u.ko
    I have "8712u" in my etc/modules file same as when I was running Linux Mint so I don't understand why it's not getting loaded on boot.

I should add that this is a fresh install of Lucid on a new partition. The /home directory is on a separate partition and is unchanged from my Linux Mint install.

Do you have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Please cd to the correct directory and do:
    Code:
    make clean
    make 
    sudo make install
    Now reboot and see if the behavior is improved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Please cd to the correct directory and do:
    Code:
    make clean
    make 
    sudo make install
    Now reboot and see if the behavior is improved.
    Everything seems to go fine until

Code:
    sudo make install
    Then it gives me

Code:
    Makefile:11: /config: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `/config'.  Stop.
    In the end still no wifi after reboot. I had to manually do "insmod" again.

Beans
    Distro

Makefile:11: /config: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `/config'. Stop.
    Please post the README or INSTALL file; whichever includes the installation instructions. You can make it an attachment to your reply with that little paperclip in the reply box.

Beans

Strangely enough the installation instructions came on a ppt, which I can't attach :-/

The tar.gz is on the Realtek website though: here

If that link doesn't work here is the download page. It's under wireless lan ic >IEEE 802.11b/g/n single chip

Thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro

Please try this. I just did and it worked for me:
    Code:
    cd correct/install/directory
    sudo su
    make clean
    make
    make install
    exit
    Please let me know.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast