Thread: Realtek RTL8192SU driver compiling issues

Hybrid View

Beans

Realtek RTL8192SU driver compiling issues

My wifi issue has been driving me crazy for days and am hoping the good people here might be able to help me out. I'm a Linux newbie, so please be gentle.

My card has the Realtek rtl8192su usb chipset. First I tried using ndiswrapper which worked except I had to do it every time I restarted the computer. I figured if I had to spend a lot of time getting it to work correctly I might as well do it natively in Linux. I emailed Realtek and got the newest driver (rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.2010 0202.tar.gz). After much trial and error and reading many forums I got it to work using chili555's directions on the first page of this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329254. The problem is it didn't keep after the reboot. I'm assuming this has something to do with the module. I don't see it in /etc/modules folder but honestly I'm not sure if I'm supposed to. I'd like to add it into /etc/modules through gedit like topsykretts from the same thread, but of course I wouldn't be able to add the line r8192se_pci since I'm using a different chipset. I don't know where to find the information on what to use, though.

Another issue from the directions given on that same thread:

from terminal cd back to the installed directory

then

sudo ./wlan0up

When I do this ./wlan0up just says "No such file or directory".

If I didn't provide enough info, I'm sorry. Please let me know what other information you need. I'd like to add that on the computer I'm having these issues with I'm not technically running Ubuntu... It's Linux Mint. To my understanding there should be no difference when it comes to these drivers though.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Realtek RTL8192SU driver compiling issues

Does this kick your wireless device to life?
    Code:
    sudo modprobe r8192se_pci
    If it it the correct module, then you can find out with:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    If you have a wireless interface, wlan0, perhaps, then add it to /etc/modules on its own line:
    Code:
    r8192se_pci
    Proofread, save and close your text editor. Does it work after a reboot? If not, post back and we'll fine tune.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

When I do the sudo modprobe I get:

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist line 6: ignoring bad line starting with 'blacklist.conf'
    WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist line 7: ignoring bad line starting with 'blacklist.conf'
    WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist line 8: ignoring bad line starting with 'blacklist.conf'
    FATAL: Module r8192se_pci not found.

And with iwconfig I get:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

:-/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not promising I'll actually be of any help, but I'm trying to get the same chipset running, is there a public link I can get that firmware from?

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.2010 0202.tar.gz
    r8192se_pci
    Oops! We have a mismatch here. When you compiled the module, what was the rXXX.ko file that got created? Not r8192se_pci, evidently. If you can't see for sure in your folder, rtl8712etc. you may have to recompile. Post back with your findings if you are unsure.

If you can find the module, simply do:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe some_module
    Of course, substitute the name of the module you built, without the .ko extension. If your wireless comes to life, add the module:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    Add a new separate line:
    Code:
    some_module
    Now, we need to clean up a few other things:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper  /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf
    By any chance, is ndiswrapper fighting the native module you built?

In order to clean up blacklist, we need to see it. Please post:
    Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    We will fix it.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.