Thread: memory/RAM for forum servers

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

memory/RAM for forum servers

There has been a note at the forum home page (for several weeks now, it seems) regarding a need for more memory to be provided by Canonical for the forum server(s).

My question is what kind of RAM is it that they need and how much could the cost of this RAM be and where is it that they are trying to obtain it from, that it is taking several weeks to receive and install ?

I am fairly sure that I could purchase memory for about any system made and have it to a site and installed either overnight or at least in 2 to 3 days.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: memory/RAM for forum servers

It seems to me like they asked Canonical for more RAM and Canonical said "Let me see what I can do. I'll get back to you." I am sure that if someone gave them $5k for RAM they would get it done overnight, like you say.

Beans

$5k for ram ?!
    What do they need 35 1gb sticks ?!
    "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe
    the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

The server that I use has 80 GB of RAM. Also, you are paying too much for a 1 GB stick, unless you are skimming off the top of this hypothetical account.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LotsOfPhil View Post
    The server that I use has 80 GB of RAM. Also, you are paying too much for a 1 GB stick, unless you are skimming off the top of this hypothetical account.
    Most servers require ECC, I just checked the Crucial site and that it what it was priced. I am sure you could shop it and get better but it is a good rough figure.
    "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe
    the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The Ubuntu 6.06 server in my closet runs on about 312 MB. Runs Apache2 24/7 and provides a nice lag-free dedicated server for my buddies and I for Half-Life (and derivative mods) and Neverwinter Nights. Never seemed sluggish to me, although it's hardly in a public consumption environment. If you're just lookin for something small like mine, I'd say half a gig, maybe a gig (I'd have a gig if I had more money available). For a public one 4GB seems to be the minimum I've seen around.