Thread: Asus Eee PC 1201N

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Asus Eee PC 1201N

I am thinking of installing Linux on an Asus Eee PC 1201N (which I may or may not buy). I am just trying to make sure that I am buying a computer that will work with Linux and that it will do what I want.

I am not sure whether I will be installing Ubuntu NR or Fedora 12. For this (relatively high-powered - dual-core Atom + nVidia 9400m) netbook what are the advantages and disadvantages of Ubuntu Netbook Remix as opposed to a regular Ubuntu installation? Is it still capable of doing everything regular Ubuntu can? (I wouldn't install regular Ubuntu just now because at the moment I prefer Fedora to Ubuntu - I have fickle distribution loyalties).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Asus Eee PC 1201N

I think the main difference is that netbook remix is optimized for the small vertical screen resolution on netbooks. And maybe what standard software is used, but it still seems to use firefox and openoffice as default. Havent tried much else.

If you netbook has more than the 600 lines on many of the 9"-10" devices, i would go with a full blown fedora instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have the 1201N and I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop edition and it amazing!

Although the 1201N is a "netbook" I recommend using the full fledged version. Especially since we have dual-core, nvidia, and full resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just got a 1201n a few days ago, and with just a little bit of tweaking, I have absolutely everything working, including the hotkey to enable/dissable the touchpad which according to about 1000 pages I found through google, isn't likely to work for anybody.

This thread covers everything but getting the mic to work in skype. If you want to get the internal mic working through skype, it's not difficult.

There are some pulse audio haters who fixed it by removing PA and just using also, but pulse really does work better once you get it going. You just have to install some backported modules and the pauvcontol so you can mute the right channel for the mic. Obviously, it's a mono mic, but pulse seems to think it's a stereo mic. The fix takes about 2 minutes.

Oh, and I'm running UNR. I've played with gnome desktop on there, and it would certaily be workable because of the high res screen. However, high resolution doesn't completely make up for small size, so I prefer UNR. I recommend you try them both.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There are some pulse audio haters who fixed it by removing PA and just using also, but pulse really does work better once you get it going. You just have to install some backported modules and the pauvcontol so you can mute the right channel for the mic. Obviously, it's a mono mic, but pulse seems to think it's a stereo mic. The fix takes about 2 minutes.

Could you please explain more, i've been trying to figure it out on my own, but i just a noob, what are the steps to get the mic working