Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Sys76 thoughts on Lucid Lynx Alpha 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Sys76 thoughts on Lucid Lynx Alpha 3

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    This is exactly why I've been testing Lucid (fortunately, on its own partition so that my production system isn't effected). But my experience is that "late = never" with Ubuntu. In other words, if there is a bug that has not been fixed by the second Beta, the bug will be present in the final release (unless it is one of the "special" projects on their list, like Plymouth for Lucid).

Karmic was released with major problems for many people. (I often refer to Karmic as "Ubuntu ME"). None of them were corrected after the release. I can only hope that Lucid, as a LTS release, will be better. So far, the evidence is against that hope, with the developers more worried about deadlines than coming out with a solid release. This was NOT always the case. They delayed the release of Dapper Drake by two months -- it was scheduled as 6.04-LTS, but was held back for two months and finally released as 6.06-LTS.

Anyway, we will see what happens. I'm starting to test Lucid RC. I am SO hoping that I am wrong about this.
    HotShotDJ,

Definitely please post your updates as you see problems or things that are resolved in Lucid on the PanP5. I still would like to try Lucid when it's released next week, but with Jaunty running so well I'm not sure how eager I am to move to a buggy OS if Lucid is riddled with problems outta the gate. I didn't move to Karmic for this same reason.

Sam
    Linux User since 1996, #242069
    System 76 PanP5 - 64bit Xubuntu 12.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Noah0504 View Post
    Ubuntu is starting to have the same practice of "release now, fix later" that major software companies often seem to use.
    I could live with that (with some annoyance, of course) IF they got to the "fix later" part.
    I see that a fix has been committed in the bug report, but I'm not sure exactly what this means.
    I'm not sure what it means at this point. I've asked about it in the bug-report. Also, I'm investigating it as I type this (waiting to finish getting the latest Ubuntu kernel git tree). As soon as I know something, I'll let you know.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    I could live with that (with some annoyance, of course) IF they got to the "fix later" part.I'm not sure what it means at this point. I've asked about it in the bug-report. Also, I'm investigating it as I type this (waiting to finish getting the latest Ubuntu kernel git tree). As soon as I know something, I'll let you know.
    You wouldn't happen to be William Davis, would you?

Beans

You wouldn't happen to be William Davis, would you?
    Shhhhhhhh.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

OK... the ACPI fix is in the latest git tree. From what I can tell, it should be in 2.6.32-22.33, BUT, I'm not positive, since that version is still in development. I'm hoping that it lands in lucid-proposed sooner rather than later.

Beans

It looks like the ACPI fix is now in the linux-proposed repository. If it's not showing up for you, take a look at the bug report. There is a comment showing where to find the kernel build. When I get home today, I'm going to try it out. Looks like I don't have to worry about upgrading!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, I'm getting word from customers that enabling the proposed and backports repos and running updates fixed bluetooth.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    OK, I'm getting word from customers that enabling the proposed and backports repos and running updates fixed bluetooth.
    It fixed every issue I've had so far (suspend, WiFi, BT and a few other quirks). Although, I think I still need to text the internal microphone. I heard someone mention that wasn't working for them. Other than that, it looks like 10.4 is working PERFECTLY!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678