Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sys76 thoughts on Lucid Lynx Alpha 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sys76 thoughts on Lucid Lynx Alpha 3

This is to the System76 folks or anyone else who's test driven Ubuntu 10.04 on a Sys76 system (excluding VirtualBox, VmWare, etc).

I'm planning on doing a clean install of Lucid Lynx when it's released next month, but I'm curious to see if System76 has tried it on their systems and when it's released if they'll have driver support for the PanP5. Also any thoughts on it thus far?

I love the new Light theme and I'm really anxious to try out the Ubuntu One Music Store. Also I've read articles saying it boots in 10 seconds or less on some systems, which would be nice to see.

For me I hope it allows the HDMI port to work and possibly the modem, though I'm not holding my breath on that one. Also I've found some minor bugs with Gnome that I hope will be fixed on 10.04.

Anyway, just curious... Take care,

Sam
    Linux User since 1996, #242069
    System 76 PanP5 - 64bit Xubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Sys76 thoughts on Lucid Lynx Alpha 3

Hi, Sam --

I've tried Alpha 3 -- I installed it on a 40 GIG "testing" partition.

1. Power Management is STILL broken -- and it is worse than in Karmic. gnome-power-manager has been rendered completely useless. I'll attempt a custom compiled Kernel in the near future and see if it is the same issue as before (ACPI_AC not compiled as a module in the stock Kernel).
    2. Suspend is broken -- I didn't try hibernation.
    3. Cannot turn on the built-in blue-tooth (thankfully, my bluetooth dongle works just fine)
    4. Cannot turn off WiFi

I THINK that #2, #3, and #4 are related... I suspect something to do with Kernel level changes in APCI. I have the same problems when using the 2.6.32 Kernel in Karmic. I may get a bit more serious with testing Lucid and start filing/contributing to bug reports. Hopefully these problems will get worked out before final release.

(The reason that I use 2.6.32 in Karmic is because the 2.6.31 Kernel in Ubuntu has rendered VirtualBox unusable. At least for me, Karmic will be forever known as Ubuntu ME.)
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

wait... hdmi isn't working for you Sam? Or are you referring to sound over hdmi?

I have seen the hdmi on the panp5 fail to work with older tvs. My suspicion here is specification inconsistencies... In which case i would assume no update is ever going get it working... because the problems with tv (or rather the people whom felt that are av cables need to be updatable).

However hdmi works perfectly on my new 21" 1080p dell monitor using twin view. (at least they sell good monitors) Best investment I've made in a while. The extra screen real estate (3600*1080) helps when im working on projects. Wish i had got a screen like this with the pangolin right off the bat.

....lucid right... just a couple of comments

yes the default brown theme was bad... but they went with purple instead? Lot of hubbub over something most people (who were upset w/brown) would change anyhow.

I'm definitely waiting till May to even think of upgrading.. ive been burned too many times with trigger happy early installs... (though i would have an extra drive this time...)
    Would love to hear more developments though.. so keep the info coming.
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by miniyak View Post
    wait... hdmi isn't working for you Sam? Or are you referring to sound over hdmi?

I have seen the hdmi on the panp5 fail to work with older tvs. My suspicion here is specification inconsistencies... In which case i would assume no update is ever going get it working... because the problems with tv (or rather the people whom felt that are av cables need to be updatable).

However hdmi works perfectly on my new 21" 1080p dell monitor using twin view. (at least they sell good monitors) Best investment I've made in a while. The extra screen real estate (3600*1080) helps when im working on projects. Wish i had got a screen like this with the pangolin right off the bat.

....lucid right... just a couple of comments

yes the default brown theme was bad... but they went with purple instead? Lot of hubbub over something most people (who were upset w/brown) would change anyhow.

I'm definitely waiting till May to even think of upgrading.. ive been burned too many times with trigger happy early installs... (though i would have an extra drive this time...)
    Would love to hear more developments though.. so keep the info coming.
    I've never been able to get HDMI to work on my PanP5 running 9.04, but from what others have posed it's fixed in 9.10 (and hopefully 10.04). I do get Video, though it's pixelated, but no audio. VGA works fine, but it'll be nice to plug in one cable instead of two when connecting my laptop to the TV, which is only about 18 months old so I suspect it's not a compatibility problem.

As for being an early adopter, I'm generally not... so I may wait a week or two to let others 'beta test' 10.04 when it hits the streets. And I agree about 9.10 being equated to Windows ME... that's why I still run 9.04.

As for the theme, yeah I do change the stock theme outta the box, but if Ubuntu ran with a decent stock theme I might keep it around for a while. I love Apple's theme, which it looks like Ubuntu is trying to mimic, so I'm glad to see the change. I keep equating this to when RH7 rolled out Bluecurve around 2002 or 2003. It was just an aesthetic change, but it was refreshing to see.

Take care,

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hmm... i had hdmi working in 9.04. sort of had similar problem,.. though I never really tested using hdmi the way i do now using twin view vs. that god awful "screen switch" fn-f7 combo.

And i say god awful because today i went to turn the volume up and accidentally hit while in twin view. long story short, the only way to fix the resulting issue is to restart. Laptops should have dedicated sound keys is the moral to the story.
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans

I was really hoping that the ac adaptor would be recognized when it is plugged in with My Serp5 with Lucid.... sigh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been playing with Lucid Alpha 3 in VirtualBox, and that thing is full of bugs. Granted it's an alpha version, but hopefully they get most of these ironed out before April 29th.

Sam

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I used alpha 3 in virtual box, and then installed alpha 3 on my panp6. The virtual box install had far more software crashes than did the actual install. For me, it's actually running very stable (I've only had a few *tiny* problems that have resolved themselves. If I were you, I would wait until the first beta at the latest because in my current experience it's only a wee bit less stable than 9.10
    Sam
    Computer: System76 Pangolin Performance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    1. Power Management is STILL broken -- and it is worse than in Karmic. gnome-power-manager has been rendered completely useless. I'll attempt a custom compiled Kernel in the near future and see if it is the same issue as before (ACPI_AC not compiled as a module in the stock Kernel).
    2. Suspend is broken -- I didn't try hibernation.
    3. Cannot turn on the built-in blue-tooth (thankfully, my bluetooth dongle works just fine)
    4. Cannot turn off WiFi

I THINK that #2, #3, and #4 are related... I suspect something to do with Kernel level changes in APCI.
    Surprisingly, I guessed that one right. It was kernel level changes in ACPI (still haven't debugged #1)

Through a VERY convoluted route, I found Bug 14667 - bisected 2.6.32 EC regression - Temperatures not correctly detected after suspend -- I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but trust me on this one. I applied the fix suggested in comment #11 of that bug, recompiled, et voila, Suspend works (what was broken was detection of the lid "button") built-in blue-tooth works (Fn + F12) and I can again turn off wireless card (Fn + F11).

This is an upstream bug... Ubuntu developers did not introduce it. It is patched (will be patched?) in 2.6.33 at some point if I'm reading the bug report correctly. I'm not sure if it will be fixed in 2.6.32, which is what Lucid is using.

Tom: This is something that System76 may want to get involved in now, before Lucid development gets too far along. It is a VERY easily corrected problem -- but once Lucid hits RC phase, I'm afraid they will not be interested in fixing it. I don't know how many of your products this will effect, but it definitely will cause pain and suffering for PanP5 and probably PanP6 owners if the bug ends up in Lucid final.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks, HotShotDJ. Passing this one on.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast