Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Mount NTFS volumes with write support

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Mount NTFS volumes with write support

Can I mount a NTFS HDD with a live cd? If so, HOW??

Beans

How does this work with a removable HD? I followed all the instructions and then realized my fstab depicted hda vs sda so I changed it to the following:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    # /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs-fuse auto,gid=1001,umask=0002 0 0
    I remmed it out because it wouldn't mount at all. To sum it up, I have a removable USB drive. I can mount it no problem but it only has read & execute permissions. It says that its a 'read only disk' if I try to give it write permissions.

ls -l /media:
    skelley@dwarf:~$ ls -l /media
    total 24
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2006-03-13 15:51 cdrom -> cdrom0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-03-13 15:51 cdrom0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2006-03-13 15:51 floppy -> floppy0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-03-13 15:51 floppy0
    dr-x------ 1 skelley skelley 16384 2006-04-11 21:31 sda1
    Does this go back to this issue since root is not mounting it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by muzaki
    for a while ago i use captive from suse 10.0 which works great for writing on ntfs....
    now i dont need it as i ve changed all my HD to fat
    info on captive:

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

try it
    Was using that on Ubuntu for a while, but it continually gives weird bugs and errors on Debian based systems in my experience. This, however, works like a charm. Thanks!
    If the box says "Needs Windows 2000 or better" why won't it work on Linux?

There are 10 types of people...those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hi, new user here- like 2 days. I figured out how to enter those command lines in Terminal. Pasting in the right code I can handle. hda5 is the NTFS partition I'm trying to fully access. I'm sorry but I don't understand the following:

1 - Add fuse to the list of modules to load

Code:

bash:~$ gksudo gedit /etc/modules

Make a new line and write fuse there. Example:
    Code:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
    floppy
    nvidia
    fuse

So, ah, can you guys make it any easier? Why the # signs? Unbutu rocks killingly.
    Bu you guys really know what you're doing, Thanks, eh.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Mount NTFS volumes with write support ( failed to set locale warning)

Hello everyone,
    I installed ntfsprogs today and it works great (i even fixed a partioning problem which norton disk doctor had caused )

Well my question is:
    How are we supposed to mount ntfs drives with utf8 support?
    I tried iocharset=utf8 which works fine with the kernel driver, and nls=utf8 which I have seen in some forums (I don't know what nls is), but they didn't work (it says invalid argument when I try to mount with mount -a )
    Then I added in fstab the "locale=utf8" or "locale=iso8859-9" (locale for turkish alphabet) and when I mount with mount -a it says:

Failed to set locale to iso8859-9. Continue anyway.

and, well, it continues anyway and it works! But how? Why? What is that "failed to set locale" warning? And if it has failed, how does it work at all? I can see the turkish-named folders and write to the drive without any problems after that.
    Am I doing something wrong or is it just a weird warning that I should ignore?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: Mount NTFS volumes with write support ( failed to set locale warning)

Sorry, I've been away for a while. I'll try to answer what I can.

imtezcan: about locale support, I too use it (pt-BR here). Set the locale in fstab like this:
    1- Type in a terminal:
    Code:
    set | grep LANG
    It will output something like:
    Code:
    GDM_LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
    LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=pt_BR.UTF-8
    Just copy the part that reads "pt_BR.UTF-8" into your fstab locale setting. Ex:
    Code:
    /dev/hda1     /media/hda1     ntfs-fuse       auto,gid=1002,umask=0007,succeed_chmod,locale=pt_BR.UTF-8 0       0
    Master Dwarf: I can't say how it would differ for a removable HD. I would guess it should work all the same. I don't understand the 'read only disk' error. Could you do a step by step which causes this? And how and where exactly the error message appears?

-ColdFire-: Yes, you can. I did it on a Knoppix Live session without problems. I would guess it should work for Ubuntu Live aswell.
    For a live session, I would recommend not using the group assignment, but instead allow everyone read+write access, since it will then require no changes to the user permissions, and since you are running live, the security risk is minimal.
    Just do a ntfsmount with umask=000 and you should be done to use the ntfs drives.

cooperaa: What error does it gives when you try to write?

gant1979: You are hitting a ntfsprogs limitation. Check the ntfsprogs page to read more about it.

EDIT:
    guitaristz: I simplified that step on the HowTo. Thanks for reporting.
    Last edited by LKRaider; April 27th, 2006 at 08:37 PM.

Beans

I have followed step by step this how-to, but when I reboot or make:

Code:
    modprobe fuse && sudo umount -a && sudo mount -a
    I get this:

Code:
    umount: /dev: bussy device
    umount: /: bussy device
    My fstab line:

Code:
    /dev/sda1	/media/sda1	ntfs-fuse	auto,gid=1002,umask=0002	0
    But, if i mount the windows ntfs partition manually with read access like this:

Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1/ -t ntfs
    It works fine, but obviously I only have read access in this way.

All the steps were made with root privileges.

Beans

I'll mount the disk:
    Places->Computer
    Right click 149.0 GB Volume->Mount

The volume is mounted and icon is produced upon the desktop.
    Right click icon on desktop->Properties->Permissions Tab

It displays the dirve with Read & Execute only. If I try to check the 'Write' permissions or change the file group it gives me a popup box with the following message:

Couldn't change the permissions of "sda1" because it is on a read-only disk

It says the file group is skelley and that I am not the owner so I can't change these permissions.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

just thanks. working perfectly here

1 thing, i didn't added my user to ntfs group so only root can read/write while user can just read, should be added as a tip to minimize corruption possibilities

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Help.

I installed Breezy recently. I reinstalled Breezy recently. Recently, I installed XP then following that I installed Breezy in another partition of the same harddrive. Dual booting is a piece of cake.

When I logged in I had "hda1" drive on my desktop with no access to anything on it. Gave me errors everytime I tried to access it. No read, no nothin'; blank file window.

I ran all the commands with copy and paste from the beginning of this thread.
    (edit: I only ran the directions in the first post, I need to add gid=??? to that file)

The drive file on my disktop disappeared after a reboot/relog.
    Now "sudo" command gives me "errors" in reference to "read-only file system"
    I can't "mkdir /???/windows" for the same reason.

What did I do wrong? I am in a hurry so I am sorry if you don't understand my post or how to help me. Did I miss something? (I always search the forum for relative threads)

My goal in trying to access NTFS was solely to back up windows so I can unzip it into another computers partition.

Thanks.
    Last edited by morequarky; April 30th, 2006 at 11:04 AM.
    'It seems as if we are sitting here tuning our Ferraris but feel compelled to shout out "I hate Ford!" at least once a day.' by user MikeGreen
    Ubuntu Search

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast