Many people have been trying to run RuneScape HD on Ubuntu 64-bit properly. This tutorial has been tested on Ubuntu 8.10. It also corrects an issue where java 'takes over' the sound card, and you can't hear anything but RuneScape.
You must have pulseaudio installed to complete this tutorial. Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.
Anyway, here it is:
1. UNINSTALL any existing java packages, 64-bit or otherwise.
2. Follow these instructions to install 32-bit Firefox (Installing 32-bit edition of Firefox), do NOT install java yet: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AM...20of%20Firefox
You will now be able to start 32-bit firefox with 2. Install IcedTea java
3. Install getlibs (Credit goes to Cappy for creating this program)
sudo apt-get install icedtea6-plugin
Go to thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790
4. Run these commands in order:
5. Now, we will set up the plugin. Run these commands in order:
sudo getlibs -p icedtea6-plugin
sudo getlibs -p icedtea-6-jre-cacao
sudo getlibs -p openjdk-6-jre
sudo getlibs -p openjdk-6-jre-lib
sudo getlibs -p openjdk-6-jre-headless
6. Run firefox32 in a terminal, and you should be ready to play!
sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386/IcedTeaPlugin.so /usr/local/firefox32/plugins/
sudo rm /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/libjsoundalsa.so
sudo rm /usr/lib32/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so
sudo rm /usr/lib32/jvm/java-6-sun-22.214.171.124/jre/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so