Thread: CD/DVD drive unresponsive

Beans

Thumbs up CD/DVD drive unresponsive

My dvd-cd drive on my laptop wont recognize anything. When looking in home-computer- it still shows up but only as cd/dvd drive. theres no information. When checking preferences it shows as unidentified and almost as if it is not there.

I checked in system-administrative-drive utility and the drive shows up as "unknown size" and no other info. on the left where it lists all the drives it shows as hl-dt-st dvdram Gsa-t1on.

The fact that it shows up gives me hope. This is the drive tht came with my ****** Acer 5100 laptop. I have used it but just noticed that it now doesnt work at all.

any ideas?

Beans

Re: CD/DVD drive unresponsive

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by williamson389 View Post
    My dvd-cd drive on my laptop wont recognize anything. When looking in home-computer- it still shows up but only as cd/dvd drive. theres no information. When checking preferences it shows as unidentified and almost as if it is not there.

I checked in system-administrative-drive utility and the drive shows up as "unknown size" and no other info. on the left where it lists all the drives it shows as hl-dt-st dvdram Gsa-t1on.
    Same thing happening to me, did you ever fix it??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can you (both) be more specific than, "it now doesn't work at all." If you put a disc (what kind?) in, what appears in Administration/Disk Utility?

This can be a hardware problem. Can you boot from a disc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Can you (both) be more specific than, "it now doesn't work at all." If you put a disc (what kind?) in, what appears in Administration/Disk Utility?

This can be a hardware problem. Can you boot from a disc?
    It shows up in Places or in Disk utility, but only ever says CD/DVD drive. If I select the drive in disk utility I get whats shown a in the screenshot which I have attached. My BIOS picks it up, Windows picks it up and is usable in Windows, I can boot a live cd, but once I get to Ubuntu's desktop it does not respond.

In addition, I got a loan of another DVD drive, just booted with it now and it's the same problem. We know for 100% both drives work outside of Ubuntu.

I have tried mounting manual from the command line only for it to tell me there is no drive

I can tell from what I'm typing what has to be done, a reinstall, but with the amount of projects that would have to be moved off the only remaining drive I have, storage would be hard to find so I would like to avoid reinstalling for fear of losing so much work

If you have any suggestions I'd be just too happy to hear them
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If it were my computer, I would try different jumper settings (Master, Slave and Cable Select.) No guaranties, it's just the next thing I would try.

You had a disc in the drive when you captured the screenshot?

If you're concerned about losing data with a re-install, you might want to investigate setting up a separate /home partition before your next install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

same problem here, and it's not a hardware issue, as i can boot from the drive