Thread: Boots to Grub Rescue

Beans

Boots to Grub Rescue

can't pass grub rescue
    I have been trying to fix a broken Ubuntu 9.10 system. I cannot get past the "grub rescue" when booting from the 9.10 CD
    I do NOT care about data loss. I want to install Ubuntu as if a clean install.
    I used systemrescue64. used Gparted and believe I wiped the hard drive. Under Gparted, the drive shows as one continuous partition of 584 GB with an 10 GB extended partition and a 10 GB swap file
    When I attempted to format the drive as Ext 4, the system locked up. I rebooted to retry it again and it froze both times. I could not open the CD drive during this and had to reboot to open the Cd drive and remove the rescue64 Cd.
    I scanned the forums and found that 9.10 includes Ext 4, so I tried booting to the Ubuntu 9.10 disc, but keep getting the "grub rescue" prompt but it keeps refusing any command as an "Unknown command."

How do I get this thing working with a functioning Karmic OS?

My System info:
    AMD Phenom X4
    Asus M3A78-EM motherboard with onboard ATI Radeon 3200
    4 GB ram
    Western Digital 640 GB HDD

I've been trying to get the system up for more than 2 weeks. I have read hundreds of forum posts, tutorials and everything else I can find, but every answered question brings more questions and another lengthy search. I just can't do it anymore.

PLEASE HELP
    Thank you.

Beans

Re: Boots to Grub Rescue

Using gparted delete the space on the drive and try again with the install CD, leaving the space unallocated.

HTH
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved

Beans

I had the problem you describe regarding GRUB rescue. I have a working system now. Here's what I did which you may want to try since you don't care about losing data:

Downloaded a fresh copy of 9.10 and burned a CD.
    During the install, I deleted all my partitions and created new ones (/boot, /, /usr, /home, and /swap)
    Install finished correctly and system booted up just fine.

Some of the language packages "couldn't be deleted." I immediately ran Upgrade Manager. I was told "Not all the upgrades can be installed due to a previous error" or something to that effect. Using the broken filter, I was told that it was the language pack again! I completely removed the package and rebooted. Booted up fine. Update Manager now reports no errors and says I am up-to-date.

I used file system type EXT3 this time -- hopefully the system won't crash as much as in 9.04 and the 9.10 I had earlier.

I lost all of my data and programs (/home and /usr) btw. The drive is too large to backup.

----------

I have to say that I am very dissatisfied with the quality of the Ubuntu distributions. With each release, I am expecting a better package than the previous, but that's not the case. Every time, it's a new set of problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Barriehie View Post
    Using gparted delete the space on the drive and try again with the install CD, leaving the space unallocated.

HTH
    Yeah, I did that 6 or 8 times now. I can't get the Live CD 9.10 to open, but I did get the Live Cd in 9.04 to boot. It will allow me into the try Ubu ..Now, but then it won't install.
    If I try to redo the disk delete and repartition, when it starts to formant to EXT 3, EXT 4 - the whole system freezes at the 5% mark.
    I've tried the whole process with different versions of Gparted and at least 3 versions of Ubuntu. All version were check summed and matched both before and after D/L and burn.
    I even tried using the pkg manage to D/L Jaunty and Karmic - but no joy and it freezes.
    didn't try using the terminal yet.
    As far as I can tell, my hardware is ok. Ran integrity check on the HDD and an overnight Memtest. Everything is fine.
    I've used System-Rescue64 Ultimate Boot Disk, MHDD and the Live Cds.
    Honestly, I have no idea why this is such a bitch.
    Thank for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mne9476 View Post
    I had the problem you describe regarding GRUB rescue. I have a working system now. Here's what I did which you may want to try since you don't care about losing data:

Downloaded a fresh copy of 9.10 and burned a CD.
    During the install, I deleted all my partitions and created new ones (/boot, /, /usr, /home, and /swap)
    Install finished correctly and system booted up just fine.

Some of the language packages "couldn't be deleted." I immediately ran Upgrade Manager. I was told "Not all the upgrades can be installed due to a previous error" or something to that effect. Using the broken filter, I was told that it was the language pack again! I completely removed the package and rebooted. Booted up fine. Update Manager now reports no errors and says I am up-to-date.

I used file system type EXT3 this time -- hopefully the system won't crash as much as in 9.04 and the 9.10 I had earlier.

I lost all of my data and programs (/home and /usr) btw. The drive is too large to backup.

----------

I have to say that I am very dissatisfied with the quality of the Ubuntu distributions. With each release, I am expecting a better package than the previous, but that's not the case. Every time, it's a new set of problems.
    Mne
    Thanks. See my reply below for details.

Beans

Hello ... I am back

I took the suggestion of trying Debian 5,04 and used it for a day or so. I didn't notice it being any more stable than Ubuntu -- in fact, I got regular kernel faults. It took about 5 tries to get Debian to install.

I went back to Ubuntu 9.10 -- took another few tries to get it installed, but now it's running and the only crash was Firefox after I installed Adobe Flash. I removed Firefox and Flash and reinstalled Firefox without Flash.

I am using pretty obsolete hardware which is probably the source of many of my "woes." My specific problem this time turned out to be a corrupted MBR. I installed LILO with Debian because GRUB kept failing. After reinstalling Ubuntu with a fresh GRUB, things are working fine now.

So ... now I see that 10.x is about to arrive ... am I brave or not? Might as well try it out since I am working with a fresh machine without all of my critical data

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mne9476 View Post
    Hello ... I am back

I took the suggestion of trying Debian 5,04 and used it for a day or so. I didn't notice it being any more stable than Ubuntu -- in fact, I got regular kernel faults. It took about 5 tries to get Debian to install.

I went back to Ubuntu 9.10 -- took another few tries to get it installed, but now it's running and the only crash was Firefox after I installed Adobe Flash. I removed Firefox and Flash and reinstalled Firefox without Flash.

I am using pretty obsolete hardware which is probably the source of many of my "woes." My specific problem this time turned out to be a corrupted MBR. I installed LILO with Debian because GRUB kept failing. After reinstalling Ubuntu with a fresh GRUB, things are working fine now.

So ... now I see that 10.x is about to arrive ... am I brave or not? Might as well try it out since I am working with a fresh machine without all of my critical data
    Perhaps explore the option of putting $HOME on a seperate partition. Then your 'data value' isn't as high!
    I've gone through 3 OS' on here and with $HOME on a seperate partition it's not nearly as stressful as 'Oh no Mr. Bill, it won't boot...'
    Debian Stable
    FluxBox
    Mark Your Thread Solved