Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ati mobility radeon 9600 - tweaks needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ati mobility radeon 9600 - tweaks needed

Okay here's the deal. Out of the box, every Ubuntu distro. after Hardy has performed poorly with this video card until some tweaks to the xorg.conf were made. This is what worked good for Jaunty & Karmic:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Option "AccelDFS" "on"
    Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "smart" # "greedy" works well also
    Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
    Option "EnableDepthMoves" "on"
    Option "ColorTiling" "on"
    Option "FBTexPercent" "0"
    Option "RenderAccel" "on"
    EndSection

Now, if my make an empty file, and paste this into the file I get a black screen on 1st boot. Then 2nd boot works fine, but the tweaks seem to have no effect at all.

With or without the tweaks, I'm getting a black screen on some 3D games that work perfectly in Jaunty & Karmic.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core@3.33 GHz, 48 GB, ATI HD 5870
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    1 TB WD, 5 TB Barracuda(s), 500 GB Hitachi RAID0
    HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 Raid / Inateck USB 3.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: Ati mobility radeon 9600 - tweaks needed

What driver are you using?

Take a look at the configuring Xorg section of this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    Last edited by lidex; March 7th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ati mobility radeon 9600 - tweaks needed

KMS is enabled by default on Lucid so some of those options may not work or apply to the drivers anymore.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    What driver are you using?

Take a look at the configuring Xorg section of this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    Code:
    charles@emachines-laptop:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] [1002:4e50]
    charles@emachines-laptop:~$
    Currently installed driver:
    libgl1-mesa-glx
    libgl1-mesa-dri

Since there is no xorg.conf by default I'll need to build one. Isn't there a command that will generate a working file for me to edit as needed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: Ati mobility radeon 9600 - tweaks needed

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Code:
    charles@emachines-laptop:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] [1002:4e50]
    charles@emachines-laptop:~$
    Currently installed driver:
    libgl1-mesa-glx
    libgl1-mesa-dri

Since there is no xorg.conf by default I'll need to build one. Isn't there a command that will generate a working file for me to edit as needed?
    Seriously dude, this is cool - check it out:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1401835

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello crjackson.

Some of these options are set by default, so having them in xorg.conf is redundant:
    Option "AccelDFS" "on"
    Option "RenderAccel" "on"
    For the others:
    Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    This is the older acceleration method. EXA (default) should give better performance (you may find otherwise, though the lucid xserver should have solid EXA).

Option "MigrationHeuristic" "smart" # "greedy" works well also
    ( from 2008: http://www.botchco.com/agd5f/?p=28 )
    If you have a “MigrationHeuristic” option in your configuration, remove it. That option was a workaround that basically disabled acceleration to work around the lack of EXA composite support in the drivers and poor performance in the EXA core. These have both been largely addressed in the drivers and xserver git. To reach this wonderland, you’ll need the radeon driver (xf86-video-ati) from git and the xserver from git for optimal performance.
    My advice would be to test the performance with no xorg.conf (delete it entirely and rely on the defaults). If you find this performance unsatisfactory, try playing with these other options.
    Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
    Option "EnableDepthMoves" "on"
    Option "ColorTiling" "on"
    Option "FBTexPercent" "0"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Crjackson,

I would be curious to know how things are going for you in creating a working xorg.conf for the Radeon 9600.

I am using a AGP Radeon 9600 in a desktop at work, and had a very rough time with it in Karmic. Using the video adapter would often cause the PC to lock up, until I found a working xorg config (which I believe was the same or very similar to yours).

I am running Lucid, with an abbreviated xorg.conf, based on the info provided by krazyd. The card's performance now is OK, but I have a feeling it could be a bit better. In particular, it seems like the GUI is using up a few too many CPU resources at the moment.

If you have found anything that seems to be working for you, I would be glad to hear about it!
    Desktop: Kubuntu 12.10 64-bit Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz 4GB DDR2 Nvidia GT440
    Nettop: Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit Atom D525 @ 1.8GHz 4GB DDR2 Nvidia ION2
    Laptop: Kubuntu 12.04 32-bit Core Duo @ 1.6Ghz 2GB DDR2
    Netbook: Lubuntu 12.04 Dell Mini 9 2GB RAM

Beans
    Distro

A little run-down of some of the options you added:

Option "AccelDFS" "on" - this enables an extra EXA performance enhancement, but has potential for instability.

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA" - this enables the old XAA acceleration method. XAA is deprecated, and has render acceleration disabled by default due to instability.

Option "MigrationHeuristic" "smart" # "greedy" works well also - this should no longer be necessary; see below.

Option "FBTexPercent" "0" - this causes the driver to allocate all pixmaps for EXA and leave only GART memory for OpenGL. Probably not a good idea and will slow down 3D operations.

Option "RenderAccel" "on" - this is already the default (except with XAA on recent drivers, though XAA acceleration is disabled because it is unstable).
    As for the MigrationHeuristic option, there used to be a major performance issues for many users with the default setting (smart), and it was patched to use the greedy algorithm instead. A better fix was to leave the migration heuristic to its default, and enable a semi-documented option called ExaOptimizeMigration. As far as I can tell, recent drivers already use this option by default... so, there's nothing to do.

Almost all of the options you specified were EXA tweaks, which subsequently got overriden when you enabled the older XAA rendering. The morale of the story is - don't apply tweaks you find on the internet without doing some research yourself.

Let me suggest an alternative approach - delete your (badly-customized) xorg.conf file - most of it was useless. Instead, disable KMS (by adding the boot option radeon.modeset=0 to your GRUB configuration). Most benchmarks are showing regressions in radeon KMS (and therefore DRI2) performance, so try the non-KMS (and DRI1) mode to see if it's any better.

In my case, my old integrated graphics (Radeon IGP 345M, which is a R100-based card) is very slow with DRI2 -for example, when scrolling a page with compiz enabled, there is noticeable delay. However, performance is acceptable with DRI1 - i.e., with KMS disabled.
    Last edited by psyke83; April 20th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Psyke83,

I think you very badly misread my post. Please read it again, as well as the previous post by krazyd.

Of the options you listed, 'FBTexPercent' was the only one I have attempted to use in Lucid. Thank you for your input on that one. I have now commented that line out.

krazyd had already indicated the others should be removed.

In Karmic, I do not believe that this was a bad customization. It was the only Xorg config I tried that would even work with this card, and I tried many. In Karmic it worked very well, although it was obvious to some of us that this would not be the case in Lucid, hence this thread.

To be honest, I will have to become much more desperate to consider disabling KMS. Out of the box, i.e. without and xorg.conf file, this card works much better than it did in Karmic out of the box.
    Desktop: Kubuntu 12.10 64-bit Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz 4GB DDR2 Nvidia GT440
    Nettop: Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit Atom D525 @ 1.8GHz 4GB DDR2 Nvidia ION2
    Laptop: Kubuntu 12.04 32-bit Core Duo @ 1.6Ghz 2GB DDR2
    Netbook: Lubuntu 12.04 Dell Mini 9 2GB RAM

Beans
    Distro

Ati mobility radeon 9600 - tweaks needed

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    The morale of the story is - don't apply tweaks you find on the internet without doing some research yourself.
    Okay, the research I did was to search the Ubuntu forums. This is where I got the information the 1st time, and it worked absolutely great for me on Jaunty & Karmic.

Let me suggest an alternative approach - delete your (badly-customized) xorg.conf file - most of it was useless.
    I thought I mentioned that's what I did. It was useless in Lucid. No matter how "badly-customized" it appears to you, it solved all my video related issues in J & K.

Instead, disable KMS (by adding the boot option radeon.modeset=0 to your GRUB configuration). Most benchmarks are showing regressions in radeon KMS (and therefore DRI2) performance, so try the non-KMS (and DRI1) mode to see if it's any better.
    This is the kind of information I was looking for. I already discovered the previous settings were useless IN LUCID. That's why I posted here looking for help.

The LCD on that computer died so it doesn't matter for me right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast