Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GRUB2: Error: You need to load the kernel first. No Solutions.

Beans

Re: GRUB2: Error: You need to load the kernel first. No Solutions.

This might be a bit late as I imagine many have just moved on to 10.04 but for those of you that haven't and any others who just want to fix 9.10 please read on...

I too encountered this error on 9.10 after a kernel upgrade (to -19) and I foolishly removed the old kernels without testing. Mine is NOT a Wubi install either (its dual boot XP with 9.10 installed to a ext4 partition).

Not sure if it'll work for others but I found that for some reason Grub2 gets it wrong. In the .cfg it counts the first partition as 0 rather than 1 so its one out.

In mine:
    Code:
    set root=(hd0,6)
    but Linux is on sda7 so I changed it to
    Code:
    set root=(hd0,7)
    and it booted fine!

I edited my /boot/grub/grub.cfg from a live cd but you should only need to edit the boot entry in grub itself (while booting). Once your desktop loads, update the kernel (I used Synaptic but obviously CLI or Update Manager are fine) and you should be good to go. Installing a new kernel will trigger grub to update (and fix) grub.cfg.
    Worked for me anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry I never replied back to this, but the hard drive that Karmic is still on is dying (270 bad sectors!!!), so I just disconnected it completely. I don't think that really had anything to do with it loading though. I could get it to boot, but I think it might have mounted the ext4 as ext3 cause there were some serioussss problems. I have a server on another computer now and it runs lucid with grub2 and ext4, so far I have had no problems. Although today I just an update-grub...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JedMeister View Post
    This might be a bit late as I imagine many have just moved on to 10.04 but for those of you that haven't and any others who just want to fix 9.10 please read on...

I too encountered this error on 9.10 after a kernel upgrade (to -19) and I foolishly removed the old kernels without testing. Mine is NOT a Wubi install either (its dual boot XP with 9.10 installed to a ext4 partition).

Not sure if it'll work for others but I found that for some reason Grub2 gets it wrong. In the .cfg it counts the first partition as 0 rather than 1 so its one out.

In mine:
    Code:
    set root=(hd0,6)
    but Linux is on sda7 so I changed it to
    Code:
    set root=(hd0,7)
    and it booted fine!
    hi guys,

same problem over here....i still do get the "you need to load kernel first" message when booting my mac over usb (with linux 10.04 iso file and grub2 on it) via rEFIt. when it comes to grub2 bootloader screen, i choose option "a" an it says this stupid thing...

can you tell me where your posted code within the grub.cfg file is located? i can't find anything similar to this within my .cfg file....

thanks 4 help x)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by radicalx View Post
    i still do get the "you need to load kernel first" message when booting my mac over usb (with linux 10.04 iso file and grub2 on it) via rEFIt.
    ISO file? You don't have it installed yet?
    The discussion here is about a hdd installation of ubuntu, not booting in live mode from cd/usb.
    I'm not sure why it would give that error if you are really only trying to boot in live mode.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the same problem, however it's with build 2.6.31-22.
    my previous kernel 2.6.31-14 is working fine which i didn't deleted after updating to the present. But I want to know a solution to load the updated kernel , Can any one please help me as I am new to Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rajbptl View Post
    I have the same problem, however it's with build 2.6.31-22.
    my previous kernel 2.6.31-14 is working fine which i didn't deleted after updating to the present. But I want to know a solution to load the updated kernel , Can any one please help me as I am new to Linux
    Have you tried the solution I posted above?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by JedMeister View Post
    Have you tried the solution I posted above?
    I tried set root=(hd0,6) set root=(hd0,7)and got bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('. I tried set root=hd06 I tried set root=hd0,6 and nothing happened.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Camilia View Post
    I tried set root=(hd0,6) set root=(hd0,7)and got bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('. I tried set root=hd06 I tried set root=hd0,6 and nothing happened.
    Camilla,

Is your Ubuntu install on sda6 or sda7? That is not a common partition to install it on although it could be there. If you don't know which partition it is on, you can type "ls" at the grub prompt and it will show you which drives (hdX) and partitions (hdX,Y) it sees.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Although I said that it should work from Grub on boot up, perhaps not? As I stated above, my Linux install was sda7 and manually editing the line in the grub config file to set root=(hd0,7) did the trick for me (all I did was change the '6' that was there to a '7' - everything else was left exactly the same). The file to edit is /boot/grub/grub.cfg To edit it I booted from a LiveCD and mounted the filesystem. I think I've updated the kernel since my original post on this thread but I definitely haven't had the same problem again. I put it down to a specific issue that has since been resolved.

I'd definitely consider drs305's suggestion to check which partition your Linux install lives on (perhaps you don't even have an sda6 or sda7?

Beyond that I'm not sure what suggestions to offer you sorry.
    Last edited by JedMeister; September 22nd, 2010 at 06:26 AM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

got the same error on my end, replacing () by [] did the trick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast