Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people hate Mono?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Why people hate Mono?

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monkeh View Post
    dude, that's hex in your sig, not binary.

unless you're being reverse funny, in which case ignore me
    i was thinking of changing it to "my other car is a cdr", but i think that would be better as a bumper sticker.
    there are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and i don't know who the other F are.

Beans

I‘m Jackie, playing SRO. have two characters, get support from gkplayer.
    have only been playing for a month or so,
    but still manage to pvp and get in on the big fleet action. i'm in

a large corp and so there's always something to

do.

That works in the early stages but you quickly

get to a point where none of the skills you

want take less than a couple of days at best to

train.

katie-xx is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by howlingmadhowie View Post
    i don't get it. if red hat doesn't include mono in a default install is that supposed to be discrimination? discrimination is when i'm not allowed to sit on a certain seat on a bus or when my children are not allowed to attend a certain school. it's not having to enter "yum install mono" at a terminal prompt (or whatever the correct command for yum would be).

just because ubuntu doesn't ship with guile1.8 installed by default and i have to enter "apt-get install guile" i do not consider myself to be the victim of discrimination.

it's a really annoying situation. every criticism of mono is ripped into as being discrimination and hatred of microsoft by freetards. history has however repeatedly shown that the freetards are more often right than not.
    Hiya
    I think the question here is about people hating Mono.
    I personally do not believe anyone hates Mono. However, some people, are wary of it because the legal position is not crystal clear.

Kate

Beans

i don't get it. if red hat doesn't include mono in a default install is that supposed to be discrimination?
    The discrimination in question is not as much about "not including Mono" as it is about "replacing a software by an inferior alternative for the sake of not including Mono". Fedora removed Tomboy and replaced it with Gnote, therefore acknowledging that a note-taking application was adequate for a default install. But the choice of default software should be technical and objective, not ideological. Though Gnote has resource-usage advantages, it has less features and the resource consumption arguments were never the "killer feature" for its choice. Ideology was. [1] Actually considering what offers better values for the user was not a priority.

To make it short and use your analogy, Tomboy wasn't allowed to sit on the bus because it had Mono.

(bad pun, sorry)

[1] Admittedly, I cannot offer incontestable proof of this. For the sake of accuracy, feel free to replace "discrimination" by "supposed discrimination" in the first sentence.
    Last edited by Keyper7; March 13th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

"Gnote is a desktop note-taking application which is simple and easy to use.
    It lets you organize your notes intelligently by allowing you to easily link
    ideas together with Wiki style interconnects. It is a port of Tomboy to C++
    and consumes less resources
    ."

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgd...ges/name/gnote

katie-xx is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    ."

And ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Keyper7 View Post
    The discrimination in question is not as much about "not including Mono" as it is about "replacing a software by an inferior alternative for the sake of not including Mono". Fedora removed Tomboy and replaced it with Gnote, therefore acknowledging that a note-taking application was adequate for a default install. But the choice of default software should be technical and objective, not ideological. Though Gnote has resource-usage advantages, it has less features and the resource consumption arguments were never the "killer feature" for its choice. Ideology was. [1] Actually considering what offers better values for the user was not a priority.

To make it short and use your analogy, Tomboy wasn't allowed to sit on the bus because it had Mono.

(bad pun, sorry)

[1] Admittedly, I cannot offer incontestable proof of this. For the sake of accuracy, feel free to replace "discrimination" by "supposed discrimination" in the first sentence.
    i just get annoyed by the use of the word 'discrimination' here. real people have suffered and been attacked and murdered and continue to do so because of discrimination. to use the word in the context of "what is in the default install of a gnu/linux distribution" seems to me to be in very bad taste.
    there are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and i don't know who the other F are.

Beans

i just get annoyed by the use of the word 'discrimination' here. real people have suffered and been attacked and murdered and continue to do so because of discrimination. to use the word in the context of "what is in the default install of a gnu/linux distribution" seems to me to be in very bad taste.
    I sympathize with those feelings, but notice that, semantically, there is nothing technically wrong with this usage of the world. Its formal meaning, found in dictionaries, is not being violated. If words like "murder" or "rape" were being used, you might have had a point. But what you are saying is a little bit of an exaggeration, not much different than, for example, claiming that comparing Mono to poison is of bad taste considering people who suffers and dies from poisoning.

Anyway, if you really feel uncomfortable, I myself have no problems in refraining from using this term if you prefer so.
    Last edited by Keyper7; March 13th, 2010 at 01:50 AM.

fewt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monkeh View Post
    dude, that's hex in your sig, not binary.

unless you're being reverse funny, in which case ignore me
    It is binary 10 as in 00 01 10 11 rather than hex 0x10.

fewt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    ."

Of course it consumes less resources, it's missing many of the features of tomboy like syncing.

"Synchronization support is being worked on."
    - http://live.gnome.org/Gnote
    Last edited by fewt; March 13th, 2010 at 01:49 AM.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast