Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is "Secret Storage Service"???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What is "Secret Storage Service"???

The GNOME keyring thing is just a cover. It really is the secret service! That's why Lucid is so good at connecting to wireless networks :b

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: What is "Secret Storage Service"???

So how do us security-aware disable this "Windows" approach; this digital "write your password on a Post-It note and stick it to the keyboard", so there's no possibility of an inadvertent "autologin" or worse.
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Distro

"Network Connections" in System -> Preferences menu, open your network (wired, wireless, etc.) settings, and un-check the "Connect Automatically" option, I think?

That only fixes it for you network connection, though... I'm not sure where you'd be able to set it up to ask permission when an application asks for a password. Maybe open seahorse and set permissions on each password? Should be a better way.

Edit: You can lock a keyring in seahorse; not sure if that prevents applications from accessing it or not, though.
    Last edited by benjo316; April 19th, 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Any keyring with a password needs a password to be unlocked. The contents are encrypted with a one-way function, so your password is the only way to get them out. (That's also why the login keyring is how it is). Just be happy that your passwords are nice and safe instead of being stored in plain text somewhere

If you want, you can create an unencrypted keyring. Open Seahorse (Passwords and Encryption Keys), go to File›New, and choose Password Keyring. (I don't know what it has to do with files either).
    Give it a name, and at the password screen don't enter a password; just hit Okay.

I don't know how to do this in a fine-grained fashion, but you can set that unencrypted keyring as your default by right clicking it and choosing "Set as default". Keep in mind that this means your passwords are easily compromised if someone knowledgeable has access to your computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    ...Keep in mind that this means your passwords are easily compromised if someone knowledgeable has access to your computer.
    No truer words have been spoken. If someone has access to my computer, I've already been compromised.
    Same thing if someone has access to my wallet
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    No truer words have been spoken. If someone has access to my computer, I've already been compromised.
    Same thing if someone has access to my wallet

Ahhh ... so you keep all your pin numbers for your credit cards written down on a piece of paper in your wallet ........ interesting .......
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

All I know is that after upgrade to 10.04 RC, I got my iptables rules falshed and applied with different ones. So "Secret Service" ROFL Might not be a joke. What I want to know if I can disable this services from running on my box.

Certificate and Key Storage
    PolicyKit Authentication Agent
    Secret Storage Service (GNOME Keyring: Secret Service) -- WTF?
    SSH Key Agent (GNOME Keyring: SSH Agent) -- Is this remote ssh ?

Can I disable those and be ok ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by EMCGFX; September 10th, 2010 at 01:21 PM.

Beans

You realize the other posters were being facetious right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Longinus00 View Post
    You realize the other posters were being facetious right?
    Yeah well, fake or not. Still does not explain all of this issues I'm having with my iptables rules. Every time I reboot It gets flashed.

EDITED: I fixed the problem, it was APF script that I've installed and forgot about it LOL
    Last edited by EMCGFX; April 28th, 2010 at 11:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12