Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Ubuntu Game Developers Out There?

Beans

Smile Any Ubuntu Game Developers Out There?

Hi everybody, I am a hobbyist game developer that just started using Ubuntu more and I was thinking of starting development for Ubuntu. I'm just curious if there are any other Hobbyist Ubuntu developers out there that want to team up.

I have about 5 years experience working with OpenGl. Most of my OpenGl work has been with the fixed function pipeline though. I would like to do more work with shaders.

The perfect project would be some small game. Like making asteroids with really nice shaders or some other small arcade style game.

Any way, if you are interested reply or send me a message.
    Last edited by ChurroLoco; March 7th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Any Ubuntu Game Developers Out There?

They could use OpenGL programmers at 0 ad.: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1419014

Beans

I saw their listing, and that is what got me interested. I will look into it, but I was really looking for a smaller project. 0 A.D. looks pretty massive.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Plenty of open source projects needing programmers.
    I don't know how small you want it, but maybe SuperTuxKart would be of interest to you? I'm not one of its developers, but just a long time follower.
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_D View Post
    I don't know how small you want it, but maybe SuperTuxKart would be of interest to you? I'm not one of its developers, but just a long time follower.
    Thanks Arthur_D

I remember I played that way back when... I loved it. I will look into it. Looks likes it could use some updated shaders.

Anybody know any other open-source game projects that they would like worked on? I could always google for them, but I would like to know where the demand is.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i really like vdrift. the shaders in that game are already pretty good, but the developer dropped dynamic reflections and a few other graphical features a while back when going through a rewrite of the game. i tried looking at the .glsl files recently but i only know a little C so i couldn't make sense of it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_D View Post
    Indeed, it's just a matter of finding a FOSS project that interests you. I have a FOSS project working to recreate an open source remake of Moonbase Commander. I don't know if it would interest you though since it is 2D graphics and has no openGL (which is your specialty). If you want to check it out though it is called MoonPy.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I do game development for linux as a hobby.
    I use mostly allegro/allegroGL.

I'm working on a 3d game engine called "Acx".
    Also, I'm working on a small spaceship shoot-em up,
    HyperNoids: http://sites.google.com/site/hypersp...ome/hypernoids

The best thing is to make your own game from scratch.
    That way, it can be ANY way you want, not confined to anything.
    And sourceforge.net is a great place to start for open source games.
    It's actually where I host my game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm a game developer. I've spent the last 5 years working on Hero of Allacrost, an open source, cross-platform RPG. I've done 100% of my development for it on Debian and Ubuntu. In terms of scale, Allacrost is less ambitious than 0 AD (which I have been following for a long time) but still a pretty large project. The code is finally maturing though and we're getting to the point where our focus is shifting towards scripting and content creation, which is pretty exciting. We released an unstable beta of the game in its current state about a week ago and we'll announce an official release probably in a few weeks. Check if out if you get the chance. We're always looking for more contributors to help out as well.
    Hero of Allacrost, an open-source, classical 2D role-playing game. Check us out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would be, but i'm stuck in between choosing Darkplaces or Cube2 as an engine basis for my NOT MULTIPLAYER game.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast