Thread: Confused about networking

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Confused about networking

I've searched for an answer for a couple weeks. I have two identical computers, both running Kubuntu 9.10, sharing a broadband internet connection through a router, to which they are both wired. They both also have wireless capability. But I can't get them to communicate with one another. I can find info on sharing the printer and sharing files, but everything I find assumes that you already have the computers set up on a network. Apparently, I don't, and can't find simple instructions on how to set up the network. I want to be able to share the printer and files between the two computers and continue to share the broadband connection through the router. Can anyone point me to the information I need? Please note that I'm not what you'd consider knowledgeable when it comes to networking, so simple, easy to follow how-tos would be best. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Confused about networking

Can you ping from one machine to the other? Easiest way to check is to open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and enter:
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    Do this on each machine to learn it's IP address (probably 192.168.X.X). (another option is to use the ip link command from a terminal). Once you know the address of the both machines, you can (from the terminal, again):
    Code:
    ping <ip.of.other.computer>
    You would (of course) be using the address you found earlier.
    Last edited by Iowan; March 7th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I can ping each computer from the other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The networking part of your problem would appear to be solved... I haven't used Kubuntu, but I suspect the same file sharing options exist. Samba will let you do file/printer sharing. NFS is another filesharing option between Linux machines.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

Ok ... thank you. Now I just need to figure out how to use NFS or Samba. The NFS link you included should help. Thank you.