Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Button Positions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lucid Button Positions

to switch back to the ancient look
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout "menu:minimize,maximize,close"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I moved the close button to right right and left the min/max buttons on the the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I probably won't be adding anything new, but part of the open community is expressing your opinion so I will do that.

Look I'm not opposed to progress, if I was, why on earth would I mind installing a beta OS. But the concept behind progress is that there is actual improvement. Changing things for no good reason is simply unproductive.

Window management buttons have been on the right side since the dawn of time, if I may believe Wiki. The first XServer implementations have it there, Windows has them there and so did previous versions of Mac OS. If Apple wants to put them on the other side to show how different they think, thats great for them. But I see no that much value in that kind of logic. (Yes, I do believe previous writers pointed out some valid reasons may exist for Apple to do so)

And what kind of reasoning is people being whiny because they oppose change. Look, why would you oppose change in this case. Because it forces us to change habits, more specifically in this case automatisms. Automatisms allow us to live life without having to think about trivial tasks. They aren't there when you're born, but are built with experience, which takes time. By forcing people to change automatism (for no good reason) your actually forcing people to waste "thinking time" on trivial actions. It's like changing the order of the throttle and the break in a car, just because the designer liked it better that way.

That's my 2 cents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I was really disappointed in seeing the buttons change. Like others have said, there's no good reason to move them.

A lot of people that I have turned onto Linux, I've shown them Ubuntu because I feel they can get used to it easily enough. With the window buttons the same (right now) as Windows, it makes it a little easier to get used to.

Couple this and the "me menu", and I am not really finding Lucid that appealing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I moved the close button to right right and left the min/max buttons on the the left.
    I like this!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Simple Solution
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Dear octesian: by any chance do you have a similar modification for "Radiance" theme?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It now feels to me like the buttons should have been on the left all along! I've only ever used Windows, Gnome and KDE. I'm very happy with the new interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I think we are all forgetting that GNU/Linux is all about choice. You can have your buttons on the top left or the top right or dead center in the middle or on the bottom (not sure if thats actually possible, but you get the point). Canonical has forced this change on us and barely asks our opinion AFTER the majority have complained.

The change may be better or it may be worse. I havent been able to use my Lucid system lately, so I havent been able to gather an opinion about it. A change like this would have been better done by a focus group, and not forced on all of us without warning. Some might say that we as alpha/beta testers ARE a focus group, but the problem is that Canonical doesnt listen to us. Whether we like the change or not, they are going to do what they want, how they want.

Shuttleworth was right it is not a democracy. It is a Totalitarian sytem.
    "Rule by a single political party.
    People are forced to do what the government tells them."

Chalk up another Win for Linux Mint. Although I dont agree with the way Mint keeps their Alpha systems behind a locked door. Everything else that Clem and his team does is in the best interest for the distribution and its users. That is something Canonical and Ubuntu have never been able to claim.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    nice
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast