Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Button Positions

Beans

Re: Lucid Button Positions

I don't mind the change and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I do hope they stick an easy way to change it in there somewhere. It couldn't hurt.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't like it either. I'm hoping they put it back as it was, since I think it's a better default. If not then I guess I'll just figure out how to change it right after I install 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is no reason the buttons have to be on the right, other than the fact that most of us coming from Windows or most Linux distributions with the default settings are used to the buttons being on the right, but I'm struggling to see the benefit or the point of this change.

Beans
    Distro

To be honest I like the new button layout.

My only problem is that other people are going to whine about it non-stop. Just like people who first try OS X whine about it.

People hate change.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post

My only problem is that other people are going to whine about it non-stop. Just like people who first try OS X whine about it.

People hate change.
    How do you think Mac users would feel if Apple moved the buttons to the right?

Beans
    Distro

For those of us that hate and fear change, I fixed the buttons with a little gimp-work and file-renaming for the Ambiance theme. They're it the attached tarball.

Should be able to just extract it and copy to /usr/share/themes and it'll over write the one thats all funky.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!

Window controls are overrated.

Beans
    Distro

I think this change is a pretty nice one. I am getting used to it rather quickly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post

People hate change.
    I think that the issue shouldn't be whether or not people can accurately be described as hating change, but whether or not the content of a given change is worth advancing despite resistance, and whether or not the resistance is a reasonable thing.

In this case, I think any 'whining' is in fact reasonable.

Here's why: I just don't see the point of changing the button layout. It seems needlessly confusing for most users. And what is being gained? It's an arbitrary design choice -- functionality is not lost, but the mechanism to trigger a function is unyoked from established practice.

Sure, an option is great (and I favor a mechanism to give the option easily), but I don't want someone's "think[ing] different[ly]" foisted upon me. (And as others have pointed out, it's not even quite the OSX UI logic we're seeing.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by vevel View Post
    Sure, an option is great (and I favor a mechanism to give the option easily), but I don't want someone's "think[ing] different[ly]" foisted upon me. (And as others have pointed out, it's not even quite the OSX UI logic we're seeing.)
    The reason Mac's buttons work on the left is because of a global file menu. Ubuntu copied this difference without the reason for it. Not only that, but they did it wrong. Lucid isn't just an OS X clone it's a broken OS X clone.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast