Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Button Positions

Beans

Thumbs down Lucid Button Positions

I have to say I am disappointed by the proposed change in button position, and quite frankly surprised that it is getting any support. So here's my run-down of why I think it's a bad idea (after screenshot):

1. It's not like Windows or OSX. E.G.

OSX = [x][min][max][====bar====]
    Lucid = [min][max][x][====bar====]
    Windows = [====bar====][min][max][x]

It's not going to be an easy transition from any platform to this as it stands. There are literally decades of ingrained history of 'close is in the top right/left corner'. Now is it in a seemingly arbitary position. It is possible to get used to it, but it brings no benifits making it confusing change for the sake of confusing change.

2. Usability

OSX supports a unified file menu, meaning the existing file menu is in the very top left of the screen. Ubuntu doesn't, putting the file menu immediatley below the window title bar. This means the chance of mis-clicks of people going for 'file' or 'edit' and accidentally hitting min/max/close increases greatly.

The Fitts law arguments also make no sense - it doesn't apply here. I also refute the argument that grouping the controls makes it easier to go from one to the other for two reasons.

1. File menus are drop downs, meaning by the time you have interacted with them your cursor will be far enough away as to not make a difference (and the subsequent interaction with the title buttons will then require a lot more care and precision)
    2. The chances of you using the two groups of buttons in serial is extremely low - grouping them makes no real advantage.

3. Looks

It looks very visually unbalanced to have such tightly packed controls cluttered on the left yet large amounts of nothing on the right. The always red close button that isn't in the corner also looks a bit strange and 'abandoned'. With such a large amount of unused space on the right it raises the question of if that space can be used more efficiently. There have certainly been motions on other platforms to use this space more efficiently, ala:

If there was a serious departion here to save screen space (always a good thing) It would be good - but there isn't.

4. Reason

There is no point to this. It doesn't bring any actual improvements in looks or usability. There is no technical need for it. While I am all behind improving things and willing to re-learn if there is an improvement in efficiency at the end there is no such case here. It's change for the sake of it.

I have a keyboard where the creator saw fit to replace the pause/break key with a 'power' key (and move the pause/break key down). I ended up physically removing the key from the keyboard as I kept accidentally shutting it down and I believe we'll have the same effect here.

</rant>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cariboo907; March 6th, 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added image, remove huge inline image and replace with attachment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Lucid Button Positions

This is the first I've heard of this. They're going to include an option for changing it back to the default I hope though.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 260 w/896MB DDR3 @ 655MHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 2000
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2x fake RAID0)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

My concern here is support for all of my users who have just recently figured out where the power button is and now gotten used to the idea of controls. Unnecessary changes are not good when dealing with implementations whose users are not that computer savvy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422422

There's another thread on this. I agree though.

Does anyone know if there's any supporting documentation behind this change? Usability studies for example?

Beans

It'll probably still be easily changed (if you can ever find it in the gconf registry). I'm just curious about the reason behind doing this.
    thank you, dan henderson.

Beans

It drove me nuts on the left. Did a gconf-editor apps>metacity>general look for button configuration, double click it.You just have to stick a : colon at the beginning of the line, and swap min and max. Not something I would expect a non technical person would want to deal with. I think I heard they will be on the right when the final version is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro

You can just move it back to the right.. i did.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skymera View Post
    You can just move it back to the right.. i did.
    New comers aren't going to know how. It will cause a flood of "How do I switch the buttons" threads.
    Last edited by swoll1980; March 6th, 2010 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    New comers aren't going to no how. It will cause a flood of "How do I switch the buttons" threads.
    Exactly.

I still have heard no explanation as to the reasoning behind this change. I'm leaving it on the left for now to see if I can get use to is.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Distro

What i find MORE annoying is the fact the order of the buttons has changed.

It was: Minimise, Maximise, Close
    It's now: Maximise, Minimise, Close

The amount of time i've gone to maximise and window and it's minimised *sigh*

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast