Thread: Running PHP sites locally

Beans

Running PHP sites locally

Greetings,
    I'm about to develop some python code that interacts with remote sites built on Pligg. So that I can test this code as I'm going, what is the simplest possible way to host a PHP site? Would I just install apache, or is there something even easier. I basically just need my code to interact with the existing site while it is running.

Is there some sort of development webserver that will handle the task better?

Thanks,
    Will

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Running PHP sites locally

After apache you need to install php and now that you are at it, install mysql also, and you'll have a LAMP server. I also recommend installing "phpmyadmin".

You can install it all easily from Synaptic, open it (system - admin - synaptic) and go to Edit - Mark packages by task (or similar my ubuntu is in spanish so my translation may not be 100% accurate) and mark LAMP Server, it will install all you need, -phpmyadmin- is not included so you'll have to search for it.

Beans

Re: Running PHP sites locally

Ah. As usual, I was overcomplicating things. For some reason, I was under the impression that I had to fight with a bunch of config files to make this happen like I wanted.

Thank you.