View Poll Results: Do you want the 64 bit sub forum on UF back?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 37.93%
  • I don't use 64-bit X/K/Ubuntu

6 20.69%
  • No

14 48.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64-bit Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation 64-bit Ubuntu Users

How many users would like to have the 64-bit sub-forum back. I find that often when I post to another area not specific to that, people with no experience will post something. They may have good intentions, but after that, I am not likely to get an answer to my problem.
    Linux Advanced Guides and News!
    http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/

Green means go, Yellow means faster, Red means don't stop.

Beans

Re: 64-bit Ubuntu Users

That is probably a good idea. I also have experience of some new Ubuntu user telling me what to do - and it might not even be related to the problem I have.

But there can be some other solution to this if the mods wanna keep the subforums this way.
    PC: Asus M5A87, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 10GB DDR III 1333MHz, Nvidia GTX560 Ti 1024M, Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB, HDD 1 TB SATA II 7200RPM
    Other: KB: Logitech G110, M: Logitech G500, 100/10M Internet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moved to Forum Feedback & Help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Personally, (and this is coming from an x86-32 user), I think there's no need for a 64-bit forum. Many of the issues occured while Ubuntu 64-bit was maturing have been ironed out.

For those that might want a better explanation into the forum closure, here's the link to an announcement by bodhi.zazen:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=343

Regards;

-TTM-

Beans
    Hidden!

I use both 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu. Most of the problems I've encountered don't have a solution that's specific to 64-bit. Granted, there might occasionally be the question of how to adapt a 32-bit solution for a 64-bit installation (e.g. where only 32-bit drivers are available), but I've seen relatively few of these.
    Last edited by lisati; March 7th, 2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: fix typos and add example
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You get well meaning people trying to help out, no matter what version you are using. I've been using a 64-bit for the last 6 releases, and other than using a 32-bit program on a 64-bit system, every solution will work with either type of system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

As some people have said there is really no need for a 64 bit forum there are no more massive 64 bit bugs. Anyway If you want to post a support question on 64 bit use the [64-bit] tag when creating a new support thread.
    Do not PM for Support.
    Ubuntu Austria LoCo Admin
    Projects: Connary Internet Browser

Beans

I don't see a need to make a 64 bit forum. One of the reasons is that many more people are going to use 64bit now...therefore the general help section should be home for the majority.

The only issue that I see frequently that is specific to 64bit flash support...I don't think we need a specific forum just to handle flash issues.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by The Toxic Mite View Post
    Personally, (and this is coming from an x86-32 user), I think there's no need for a 64-bit forum. Many of the issues occured while Ubuntu 64-bit was maturing have been ironed out.

For those that might want a better explanation into the forum closure, here's the link to an announcement by bodhi.zazen:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=343

Regards;

-TTM-
    Would you like to explain how to install this?

$ sudo ./blackplague.bin
    [sudo] password for chris:
    ./blackplague.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libCg.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    $ ldd blackplague.bin | grep not
    libCg.so => not found
    libCgGL.so => not found

The normal way would be to use software directly from nvidia.com, but Ubuntu has been changed up so much that it doesn't work when using the drivers from nvidia.com anymore. My bug reports for issues have been marked as "won't fix" due to Ubuntu is going to be changed up some more. I need those libs from the the library files created by the 32bit nvidia-cg-toolkit package running the installer file it has in it, but I do not want to risk breaking my system by doing that.
    Last edited by go_beep_yourself; March 7th, 2010 at 05:14 AM.
    Linux Advanced Guides and News!
    http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/

Green means go, Yellow means faster, Red means don't stop.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I run 32 bit on my 64 bit AMD just for flash purposes. Yet to find a good work around for hulu or youtube. Also I didn't vote. You forgot "I don't care".

The way I understood it when bohdi made the announcement was if you have troubles just post in General Help .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast