Thread: Please Remove This Religous Thread

Beans

Please Remove This Religous Thread

According to cariboo907:
    The forum code of conduct forbids the discussion of Religion/Politics in the form<sic>.
    The following thread is about religious paraphernalia and incites religious discussion.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1420966

Please remove this thread.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Please Remove This Religous Thread

The discussion is about software options and is specific to an Ubuntu derivative that has had a subforum here since 2006, predating the ban on religious-related topics by a very long time.

Note: we are not uncomfortable with people having or exercising religion and we are not uncomfortable with people preferring not to do so. The ban on discussing religion is a result of the topic of religion in general being disruptive within the community.

This, however, is not a discussion of the merits of a particular religion, but rather the merits of particular software choices in an Ubuntu derivative. As such, there is no need for action to be taken.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

So it looks like we can't talk about religion unless its Christianity ... My post was removed in this thread b/c I was told not to talk about religion. Interesting how this works.

So what if I want to create a project called "Satanic Edition", "Spaghetti Monster Edition", "Zeus Edition", "Muslim Edition", or "Druid Edition", would that be allowed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    So it looks like we can't talk about religion unless its Christianity ... My post was removed in this thread b/c I was told not to talk about religion. Interesting how this works.

So what if I want to create a project called "Satanic Edition", "Spaghetti Monster Edition", "Zeus Edition", "Muslim Edition", or "Druid Edition", would that be allowed?
    You may of course create and distro you wish, we can not stop you from doing so.

FYI: Ther is, or was, a Satanic edition and there have been several attempts at a Buddhist edition, one such distro is still active. There is a Muslim edition currently.

If you have an official edition supported by canonical, such as the CE, you may use these forums for technical support.

If you are not an official edition, you may use these forums so long as the discussions remains technical support. It would be best, however, if you had your own forums. If there are complaints about your activity here or if it appeared you were spaming the forums your activity would need to be reviewed.

So the short answer to your question, if the discussion of Ubuntu CE, or any other edition, is about an official edition and is for technical support it is allowed.

None technical discussion of religion is not allowed.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I should add, I also reviewed the thread in question and I agree it is appropriate for these forums.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans

So why does the Satanic edition and Buddhist Edition not have their own forum here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    So why does the Satanic edition and Buddhist Edition not have their own forum here?
    As has been stated in the CoC, which you agreed to abide by when you registered, discussions of religion are not allowed on these forums.

The link you are asking about is not a discussion of religion, it is a request for technical support.

I think your question has been asked and answered.

If you are wanting to learn the process of becoming an official version supported by Canonical, I suggest you contact them directly.

If you have a technical question about ME, Satanic Edition, Buddhist Edition, etc you are free to ask on these forums, although you may be directed to another site for support (SE has it's own forums).

For example,

http://ubuntusatanic.org/
    http://ubuntusatanic.org/forum/

In terms of sub forums here, we are a large forums and we get a number of requests for sub forums. Each request is judged on it's merits and we do not have anywhere close to enough questions about SE, BE, ME to justify a subforums.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, and the Ubuntu CE subforum was added in 2006, long before we had to limit their proliferation. We can't and haven't added a new subforum for a 3rd party project for a very long time and have eliminated many that were inactive or started their own forums.

The legal term is "grandfathered in." We wouldn't start a new forum for any unofficial derivative today (nor even an official derivative without a direct request from Canonical), but had the other religion based derivatives existed and requested a forum at the time we approved the Christian one, we would have approved and created them.

It isn't favoritism, it is timing.

Beans

From an outsider, it certainly looks like favouritism and it certainly looks like Canonical supports the religion of Christianity and no other.

But Canonical is a company and it can do as its wishes.

Beans
    Distro

In this case, the choice is "looks like favoritism" vs. kick out people who have not caused us any trouble. I'll take the first option. Looking like something exists does not mean it exists.