Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Easy Way To Backup Your System!! (Bash Script)

Beans

Re: Easy Way To Backup Your System!! (Bash Script)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    Nice work making all those from scratch, really great programs, sadly the internals are lacking. Also, I think you've way overdone the amount of text on the hex-table page, no one is likely to use it if you're forcing them to keep that text in place.
    PenguinGuy - thanks man, i appreciate the input. What do you think i could do to improve the internals??

i totally understand.
    i am going to begin working on the new version tonight.
    I will clean up the hex generator first, then i am going to improve the packup script and backup script.
    I have posted a new thread to gather a list of files to block from the backup.
    Stuff that messes up a system if replaced...like the sudo file.
    i backed up a system using my app and replaced my /home/ folder with it and it kept giving me an "ICEauthority" error.
    and i couldn't use
    Code:
    sudo
    because the file was obviously different, and the permissions were all messed up.
    the idea is that if i can get a list of files that shouldn't under any circumstances be backed up/replaced/edited/etc... so i can program in a check in ever loop to prevent them being copied- and also so that if the user selects the standard 'auto' backup it won't backup these files/kinds of files/etc...
    I also would like to get a list of packages that are standard to ubuntu installs or that shouldn't be backed up/edited/replaced/etc.. for the same reasons as the files mentioned above.

i am reading up to try and figure out a nice way to package the toolkit... maybe a .DEB installer or just an automated-install script.. i dunno.
    if anyone has any thoughts/ideas/contributions to this then post and let me know!!

EVERYONE IS INVITED TO HELP OUT WITH MY TOOLKIT. IT IS OPEN-SOURCED FOR A REASON, SO IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA OR A SCRIPT/PROGRAM YOU THINK WOULD BENEFIT THE USERS AND THE PACKAGE ITSELF- PM ME NOW!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you're going to package it, don't package it as a toolkit - package each program separately. As for the internals being ugly - I guess you just get used to writing pretty internals after reading a lot of code (use the source Luke). As for why the backup is failing - it's probably because you've changed the file permissions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    Some of the main issues:
    • Doesn't check if it has root permissions
    • Doesn't check if they entered a valid username
    • Changes the permissions on the backup
      • What do you gain by changing permissions?
      • The backup archive is open to anyone - minor security risk
      • When you restore from the backup, the whole system is open to anyone - major security risk
    • The sleep statements serve no purpose
    • Probably want to look into excluding the gvfs file
    • Might want to look into rsync - it considerably speeds up backups
    I have attached a patch - this patch will remove the chmod and chgrp statements. It will also remove the -r option, and one of the -v options from the rsync options (since they are repeats). The patch ends in .txt because Ubuntu Forums will not accept .diffs.

To make a patch: diff -u old-file new-file >patch.diff
    To apply a patch: patch old-file patch.diff (this will overwrite old-file)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Penguin Guy; April 28th, 2010 at 07:54 PM.

Beans

*edit*

* PENGUINGUY *

i believe it should be the following to patch a file using a .diff-extension file :::
    Code:
    patch <original_file> <patch_file.diff>
    i mean, i could be wrong, but i couldn't get diff to work, just showed me output in the terminal.
    i used patch and now i have the fresh version.
    * PENGUINGUY *

I HAVE UPGRADED THE BACKUP SCRIPT'S VERSION TO v1.6 ---> THANKS TO PENGUINGUY FOR THE PATCH!!

*edit*

woah, thanks man =)
    you will be assigned the appropriate credit for this in the Documentation and in comments.
    thanks for the hard work, friend!
    i am currently looking at ways to improve my systems internals.
    and also have some small changes to the hex generator that i will release tomorrow most likely.
    i appreciate your input, and moreso, your contribution to the toolkit.
    when i start working on the toolkit's section on the site, i will be sure and give you a page and a mention as a contributor !! =]

this is hwy i love ubuntu - freedom to mix and match, make and patch, meet and greet xD
    and because of people like you, who are willing to criticize in a helpful manner and help to do what they think will make it better.
    <3 ubuntu <3
    Last edited by lonewaster; April 27th, 2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: info regarding using .diff patch files. message to PenguinGuy

Beans

i have released swedgertoolkit-v1.6 - just to do anyone who it concerns until v2 is released(which will be just as soon as i complete the restore script, along with the other stuff in COMING_SOON [comes with toolkit]
    it can be downloaded from here-
    http://www.swedger.com/swedgertoolkit-1.6.tgz

the main parts of this update are-
    +++ PenguinGuy's BACKUP script permissions PATCH
    +++ Logging system started. implemented for BACKUP and PACKUP scripts (infant stages just now, will improve with time.)
    +++ See VERSION file(inside swedgertoolkit-1.6.tgz) for more 'what's new to this version'

please let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions or anything....
    big thanks for Penguinguy as well (xD) for patching the backup script's permissions issues.

-darksider-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lonewaster View Post
    i believe it should be the following to patch a file using a .diff-extension file :::
    Code:
    patch <original_file> <patch_file.diff>
    i mean, i could be wrong, but i couldn't get diff to work, just showed me output in the terminal.
    i used patch and now i have the fresh version.
    Ooops, copy & paste fail, sorry. Anyway, I'm glad the patch worked.

Beans

Yeah, me too.
    I appreciate the input and - as always - if you can think of anything you'd like to see in STK or if you have any scripts/apps that you would like to add to it, then message me and let me know =)

i am currently working on a working, finished version of the RESTORE script.
    Not much more to do for it to be completed, really.
    I also have alot of ideas, contained in the COMING_SOON file [included in the toolkit] although, i have added a fair amount of new material since releasing v1.6.

I would love to have some more people on-board as a sort of 'swedger-tk team' if anyone is interested?
    though i will be making STK its own thread maybe tonight/or by tomorrow evening.
    v2 is not very far away, so stay calm folks.

thanks again PenguinGuy. Much appreciated!! If you have any further material/ideas - don't hesitate to let me know!!

PEACE all

-darksider-

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234