Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installed ATI Driver, Linux won't boot

Beans

Re: Installed ATI Driver, Linux won't boot

Quote Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
    If you go back to boot off of your hard drive, you should be able to drop to tty1 console when the screen turns black by hitting CTRL+ALT+F1. Login, and type

Code:
    lsmod
    Expect to see your driver listed in the output ( I think ATI uses fglrx or something similar ). If the module is not loaded, but is installed, try

Code:
     sudo modprobe fglrx
    You also want to make sure your xorg.conf [if your system uses it] has the proper driver listed in the device section.

PS. you can chroot from the CD, but there should be no need to do that unless you REALLY need to go through this in a GUI
    I am a little lost here I need to revert back to the open aATI drivers and I can't boot. So if I get to the console is this all I need to type in to get rid of the proprietary drivers? Or is thee another step?

Beans

Re: Installed ATI Driver, Linux won't boot

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiye View Post
    I am a little lost here I need to revert back to the open aATI drivers and I can't boot. So if I get to the console is this all I need to type in to get rid of the proprietary drivers? Or is thee another step?
    You really shouldn't hijack someone else's old thread; instead, you should start your own.

Removing the fglrx drivers and replacing them with the open source Radeon drivers is covered below:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12