Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed ATI Driver, Linux won't boot

Beans

Installed ATI Driver, Linux won't boot

I just installed Ubuntu again after about a year of not using it. Afterward I installed the restricted ATI driver (I have an ATI Mobility card.. I think it's the 3460). Now after GRUB I just get a black screen. I just booted from the CD, but I cannot figure out how to uninstall the driver from here as it's not actually booted to my desktop, just the LIVE CD. Is there any way to get back into Linux without fully reinstalling?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installed ATI Driver, Linux won't boot

If you go back to boot off of your hard drive, you should be able to drop to tty1 console when the screen turns black by hitting CTRL+ALT+F1. Login, and type

Code:
    lsmod
    Expect to see your driver listed in the output ( I think ATI uses fglrx or something similar ). If the module is not loaded, but is installed, try

Code:
     sudo modprobe fglrx
    You also want to make sure your xorg.conf [if your system uses it] has the proper driver listed in the device section.

PS. you can chroot from the CD, but there should be no need to do that unless you REALLY need to go through this in a GUI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Don't re-install just yet.

Are you using Karmic? If, so and you simply delete/rename xorg.conf, the system will automatically use the open source radeon driver. Which may be better.

See if you can identify your graphics card precisely and then search the forums. You might find that the proprietary fglrx driver is bad news with your particular card. In which case deleting xorg.conf is the simplest way of getting into your desktop with the open source driver so that you can uninstall the fglrx driver from the GUI. You can delete xorg.conf either from the live CD, or by booting into recovery mode and doing it from the console.

The possibly good news: on my laptop with the ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics, the fglrx driver was a complete and unmitigated disaster in Karmic, so I used the delete xorg,conf trick to get the radeon driver back. Which was OK, but no 3D.

But in Lucid alpha, I get compiz (rotating cube, transparency, wobbly windows, the lot) out of the box with the default open source driver.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Thanks a lot guys! I was able to revert back to the original driver and get to my desktop Thanks again!

Beans

I have a similar problem, I installed a Radeon HD5670 Graphics card. initialy the system came up in low graphics mode, I ran the hardware driver tool and it sugested installing fglrx which I did.

Now I boot and get either a black screen with a black and white ubuntu logo and the system freezes or verticle bars

How do i get rid of the fglrx driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

boot into rescue mode and enter the following:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.oldversion
    <your password>
    and then
    Code:
    sudo init 6
    the computer will restart and the graphical system will use the default driver rather than fglrx.
    there are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and i don't know who the other F are.

Beans

Thanks howie
    Last edited by TimK01; March 12th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TimK01 View Post
    I have found the X11 directory but cant access it even with sudo, what am i missing?
    Did you boot into recovery mode? Were you in a text-only console? If so, you don't need the sudo because in recovery mode you get root powers without a password - so take care!

Boot into recovery mode - that is usually the second choice in the grub menu. After a few seconds of scrolling text you get a simple menu choice. Choose "text console without networking". It might be "root console..." or similar - I'm going from memory here - and you will be presented with a simple # prompt. Then:

Code:
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.oldversion
    That will rename the xorg.conf file to make it unavailable to the xserver. Remember that Linux is case-sensitive - you have both capital and lower-case X's in that line. Now you have to reboot, which is simple:

Code:
    reboot

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Talking Re: Installed ATI Driver, Linux won't boot

WOW you guys saved my *** from reinstalling Linux Mint a 3rd time from this issue... thought it was my USB flash drive that was dying! Thanks!!!!

So this obviously looks to me like there is a major incompatibility between ATI driver and Ubuntu. Should a bug be reported somewhere?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TRAFFICBLOWS View Post
    So this obviously looks to me like there is a major incompatibility between ATI driver and Ubuntu. Should a bug be reported somewhere?
    It's more specific than that. The open source 'ati' driver is just fine - except no compositing/3d with some cards. It's the proprietary 'fglrx' driver that is the problem - but again only with some cards, and the problem is between the fglrx driver and the xserver, not Ubuntu itself. If you look around the forum, you'll see some people are using the fglrx driver OK. If you want to see whether a bug report has been filed for your card, have a look here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

By the way, when you get to use Ubuntu Lucid or the version of Mint that will be based on Lucid (or at least the version of xserver that will be used in Lucid) you may find the open source ati driver adequate for your needs and you may not need the proprietary driver. I'm posting from Lucid on a laptop with the Radeon HD4200 graphics and the ati driver and I'm getting compiz special effects quite nicely. Ymmv, depending on your graphics card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast