Thread: I think I hurt Matthew's feelings.

Beans

I think I hurt Matthew's feelings.

So there's this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422317

I make my first of two appearances at post 12 and my second of two at post 22.

Since I last read it or posted to it, there's been three and a half pages of posts to the topic, including posts by KiwiNZ, cariboo907, and ibuclaw, who, I presume, is the one who locked the thread.

Out of those three mods, who I can only assume read through the thread before adding their own comments to it, none of them saw fit to infract me for what I wrote.

Moments ago - a solid two hours after I made the post in question, and an hour after the thread's been locked, I get this message from Matthew [emphasis added is mine]:
    You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums
    Dear detroit/zero,

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason: dismissive and trollish behavior
    -------
    We both know you are being extreme to make a point. Calling the work done by Ubuntu mere "window dressing" is neither valid (and you know that) nor does it actually help the conversation. Furthermore, from the beginning to this moment the Ubuntu leadership has and does give credit and great respect to Debian.

Don't be a jerk.
    -------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8920908
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikt
    If Debian did all the work we'd all be using Debian.. but they don't.. so we don't..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swoll1980
    No one ever said they didn't. Ubuntu does all the work that makes Ubuntu Ubuntu.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swoll1980
    I understand that. Ubuntu takes Debian, and turns it into Ubuntu. Debian does alot of work to push out a quality product. They deserve much credit, but Debian is not Ubuntu, and alot of work goes into making Ubuntu Ubuntu. This is what I was talking about.

I'm going to go out and buy a new Honda. I'm going to put some rims on it, tint the windows, add some zebra-skin seat covers, and hang some fuzzy pink dice from the rear-view mirror. Then, by your logic, I no longer own or drive a Honda, I'm driving a Detroit/Zero, a creation not from the Honda engineering and design labs in Japan, but my own, original brainchild conceived and built in good ol' Detroit, MI.

The moral of the story: Putting a little window dressing on something and calling it your own creation does not make it so. Just ask any plagiarist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uncle Spellbinder
    I'm really tired of Debian fans pretending that Ubuntu is nothing more than a sub-par Debian derivative. Ubuntu has it's own identity with it's own repositories, it's own userbase, it's own devs. Ubuntu has grown into a distro of it's own. Hence the Ubuntu based distros showing up like weeds in the grass.

Long live Ubuntu.

See above story and accompanying moral. I'll bet you a million dollars that if tomorrow, Debian were to close up shop and shut down all their repos, Ubuntu would cease to exist the following day.

Also, Ubuntu-based distros spring up like weeds because of Remastersys, not because it's such a good product. Remastersys makes it easy to repack Ubuntu any way you like, and call it whatever you want.

There's a reason Debian, Fedora, Arch, Suse, Gentoo, et al, don't have a hundred spinoffs: It takes actual work and knowledge of how Linux is put together to do it.
    All the best,
    Ubuntu Forums

I would call using your authority and power to issue an infraction because someone holds an opinion you disagree with "being a jerk".

And if you want to act all impartial and professional in what you do, is adding "don't be a jerk" as a pot shot at the bottom really the way to go?

What if I came in here and titled my post "Matthew is being a jerk"? How far would that get me? I'd get banned - either for a period of time, or permanently.

How is it that hypocritical crap like this flies around here?

If you're going to infract me in the name of the CoC, at least have the good decency to stick to it yourself.
    I switched to Windows because of all the disappointment Linux brought me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I think I hurt Matthew's feelings.

moved to RC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I think I hurt Matthew's feelings.

Your point is well taken. The comment I made was inappropriate. I will reverse the infraction.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!