Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

thank you for the information how how and were to look for help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

Not sure if this has been addressed in this post somewhere. For problems related to Grub and booting, it would be helpful if the user ran meierfra's boot info script right away and posted the output, although I'll let the webmasters ponder if it will be a hog on the database.
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Beans

Thanks for this post. Especially the links to categories in the opening post. I know where to go to get help with keyboard support on my laptop now. (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=332)

Beans

That's a great link to this thread in your signature line.

Thanks you for the advice and have a bowl of popcorn on me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

Thanks a lot! it will surely help rookies.

Beans

Hi,

Great idea. It is my opinion that it is rarely necessary to quote posts in their entirety when responding!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. It's helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is great and I'm going to have to study it in much greater detail. My particular gripe with Ubuntu as a whole is that when it's working it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. But when it breaks, finding the solution to the problem is nearly impossible. What's needed is a central help index using good programing technique, that is, branching. For example: General problem (hardware/software), specifics (wireless/touchpad/printing), make/model of computer, etc.

A glossery of commands and an explanation would be helpful. I've done lots of programming in BASIC and some in Fortran and the commands "make sense." But "sudo" or "lshw"? Sorry, I'm lost.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by schulznotee View Post
    A glossery of commands and an explanation would be helpful. I've done lots of programming in BASIC and some in Fortran and the commands "make sense." But "sudo" or "lshw"? Sorry, I'm lost.
    You have to open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type the commands; What it does is launch a program and show you the output that the program gives. It's not a programming language like BASIC or Fortran (although you can write Bash scripts that work in a similar way)

If you want to know what a command does, you can type "man command" into a terminal to view the manual on command. (e.g. "man sudo")

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by schulznotee View Post
    This is great and I'm going to have to study it in much greater detail. My particular gripe with Ubuntu as a whole is that when it's working it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. But when it breaks, finding the solution to the problem is nearly impossible. What's needed is a central help index using good programing technique, that is, branching. For example: General problem (hardware/software), specifics (wireless/touchpad/printing), make/model of computer, etc.

For almost all software and tools you install there are "man" pages (manual pages) simply typing something like "man sudo" without the quotes will give you some but not all information. Aside from that almost all commands you normally will use are part of a "toolset" common to the largest percentage of Unix machines. "A workman is only as good as his tools".
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast