Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

Beans

Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

what download do I use for a pent 111 like puppy?

Beans

HOW to know path in command

HI
    is there any who can tell how to direct the path in command line
    pleas....

Beans

Re: Suggestions on how to get your support questions answered as quickly as possible

cd
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Re: HOW to know path in command

Quote Originally Posted by bad killer View Post
    HI
    pleas....
    do you mean
    Code:
    cd path
    ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Has this thread wandered off-topic? Or is it that I've missed something that would have alerted me to people seeking examples of good ways of asking questions?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOW to know path in command

Quote Originally Posted by bad killer View Post
    HI
    pleas....
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, but maybe something here will answer your question...

When you are using a terminal, you have a certain "working directory". By default, this is your home folder (/home/username, often abbreviated with ~)

So if you try to edit a file with "nano todo_list" right after opening the terminal, you are accessing /home/username/todo_list (abbrev. ~/todo_list)

If you want to edit something like /var/share/shared_file, you can use "nano /var/share/shared_file"

The / at the beginning of the file name tells the terminal that you want the path to start at the system root folder, which is equivalent to the C:\ drive in Windows.

If you are going to be working with a lot of files in /var/share/, you can change your working directory with the "cd" command. e.g. by typing "cd /var/share"

If you type the above command to change your working directory, you can then use "nano shared_file" to edit /var/share/shared_file.

Another handy trick is the use ".." to refer to the directory above yours. For example, if your working directory is /var/share, and you want to view the log at /var/log/system.log, you can use "nano ../log/system.log"

And yet another is to use "." to refer to your current working directory. For example, "du -s ." will tell you the total disk usage of your working directory.

Hope that covers everything you're wondering about

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Has this thread wandered off-topic? Or is it that I've missed something that would have alerted me to people seeking examples of good ways of asking questions?
    I think it's more that new users misunderstand the purpose of this thread.

Also, it seems to pick up a lot of spam o_O. I'm subscribed to this thread and always get emails about it. Though most of the time, the post is gone before I get a chance to report it. Nice work keeping it clean,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi. I give new meaning to the term "absolute beginner" so please forgive all my misnomers. I have loaded the latest versions of ubuntu and kubuntu into seperate oracle virtual boxes. I am trying to install guest additions to allow me to use seamless mode. I have mounted (i think) the file/data received from when I click Install Guest additions in the /media dir. when i am in a terminal, i start w sudo -s and then i cd to media. then i type ./VBOXAdditions.run and get "no such file or directory". i also try the same minus the ./ and get "command not found". i also tried just clicking on the autorun.sh file in the vbox folder, but it said i must run in administrator mode. when i try to create a new user by way of system settings> user management, i enter my user password and it doesnt accept it. i know that the amount of info in my question is probably insufficient, but i will happy to prvide any additional info if need. thanks to all. especially those that can help!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jaeddu View Post
    Hi. I give new meaning to the term "absolute beginner" so please forgive all my misnomers. I have loaded the latest versions of ubuntu and kubuntu into seperate oracle virtual boxes. I am trying to install guest additions to allow me to use seamless mode. I have mounted (i think) the file/data received from when I click Install Guest additions in the /media dir. when i am in a terminal, i start w sudo -s and then i cd to media. then i type ./VBOXAdditions.run and get "no such file or directory". i also try the same minus the ./ and get "command not found". i also tried just clicking on the autorun.sh file in the vbox folder, but it said i must run in administrator mode. when i try to create a new user by way of system settings> user management, i enter my user password and it doesnt accept it. i know that the amount of info in my question is probably insufficient, but i will happy to prvide any additional info if need. thanks to all. especially those that can help!
    Don't use the ISO provided by virtualbox for guest additions. There is a package already available in the Ubuntu repositories. All you have to do is install it in the software center. It will even update itself when there is an update available.

Also, to run things in administrator mode, (i.e. as the "root" user), you use the "sudo" command from a terminal, or "gksu" from the alt+f2 box. No need to create another user for it.

Beans

i want software similar to "recuva" & "video-cache-view" those r there for windows...

also i didnt found any place to post this query thats y i m putting it here..

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast