Thread: Wireless ISSUEs and I'm LOST

Beans

Wireless ISSUEs and I'm LOST

I'm sorry, I just joined this site and I'm very far from knowing where I should POST this, so I'll try it here.

I have a DELL MINI 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 loaded on it. I LOST(forgot) my ADMIN Password. I tried and tried to get DELL support to help me, no luck even getting through. I came to the conclusion I needed to reinstall the OS. I don't have a CD-DRIVE for the OS Disk. I did however get my hands on a USB memory stick with Ubuntu 9.1 on it. So I loaded it...I could NOT for the life of me get my wireless to work. I tried everything( I think). In addition to that problem I was getting HARDDRIVE ERROR messages. I searched all these forums for answers without any success. So, I went to the local Office Supply and purchased a "stand alone" CD-DRIVE so I could reload the original OS. My HARDDRIVE errors have vanished(that's a good thing). Now, I still can't get the Wireless to work??? It worked fine before I messed with the computer?
    It "finds" my wireless network just fine, shows I have a very strong signal. It asks me to input my "passphrase", I do, as I have for all my wireless computers,etc. It tries to log-on, it always comes right back to asking me to enter my passphrase....an endless loop.
    What am I doing wrong????? I'm clearly not a computer expert.
    I need to add, my system worked fine from Oct'09 when I oginally purchased it. All my issues started yesterday when I tried to get my ADMIN password.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    John
    Last edited by JFAWCETT; March 5th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Beans

I'm sorry, I just joined this site and I'm very far from knowing where I should POST this, so I'll try it here.
    I have a DELL MINI 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 loaded on it. I LOST(forgot) my ADMIN Password. I tried and tried to get DELL support to help me, no luck even getting through. I came to the conclusion I needed to reinstall the OS. I don't have a CD-ROM for the Disk. I did however get my hands on a USB memory stick with Ubuntu 9.1 on it. So I loaded it...I could NOT for the life of me get my wireless to work. I tried everything( I think). In addition to that problem I was getting HARDRIVE ERROR messages. I searched all these forums for answers without any success. So, I went to the local Office Supply and purchased a "stand alone" CD-ROM so I could reload the original OS. My HARDDRIVE errors have vanished(that's a good thing). Now, I still can't get the Wireless to work??? It worked fine before I messed with the computer?
    It "finds" my wireless network just fine, shows I have a very strong signal. It asks me to input my "passphrase", I do, as I have for all my wireless computers,etc. It tries to log-on, it always comes right back to asking me to enter my passphrase....and endless loop.
    John

Beans

I have a DELL MINI 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 loaded on it. I LOST(forgot) my ADMIN Password. I tried and tried to get DELL support to help me, no luck even getting through. I came to the conclusion I needed to reinstall the OS. I don't have a CD-ROM for the Disk. I did however get my hands on a USB memory stick with Ubuntu 9.1 on it. So I loaded it...I could NOT for the life of me get my wireless to work. I tried everything( I think). In addition to that problem I was getting HARDRIVE ERROR messages. I searched all these forums for answers without any success. So, I went to the local Office Supply and purchased a "stand alone" CD-ROM so I could reload the original OS. My HARDDRIVE errors have vanished(that's a good thing). Now, I still can't get the Wireless to work??? It worked fine before I messed with the computer?
    It "finds" my wireless network just fine, shows I have a very strong signal. It asks me to input my "passphrase", I do, as I have for all my wireless computers,etc. It tries to log-on, it always comes right back to asking me to enter my passphrase....and endless loop.
    John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless ISSUEs and I'm LOST

Please don't create multiple threads on the same subject. I have Merged three of the threads, the fourth was closed..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First off, there many threads with instruction on what to do if you have lost/forgotten your password. A quick google search with the words "Ubuntu lost password", would have brought you this link.

As for your wireless problem, can you connect if you turn off wireless protection?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    First off, there many threads with instruction on what to do if you have lost/forgotten your password. A quick google search with the words "Ubuntu lost password", would have brought you this link.

As for your wireless problem, can you connect if you turn off wireless protection?
    I don't know what "wireless protection" is....or, where to find it to see if it's "on or off"....