Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I convert VHS to DVD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I convert VHS to DVD?

I do this in Linux using a TV tuner card in my Desktop. I play the VHS tape through the tuner card to my Desktop. I then record the incoming stream as an .avi file. Then use 2ManDVD to record that .avi file to DVD.

While its true the quality isn't as good as DVD its still good enough and useful for backing up those VHS video's that aren't out on DVD or for that matter home videos.

It's not the best solution as it does require you to let the video play all the way through. But it does work.

You can buy the Tuner card at most Computer Stores. (I don't recall the model I use. It was an all in one something or other) You put it into an open pci slot and then just run a coax cable from the VHS to the card and then install Xawtv from the software center. (Xawtv lets you watch and record the stream as an .avi file)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think you are going to find any legitimate commercial service that will copy a Disney VHS tape to DVD for you. They would then be liable for prosecution under copyright laws, at least here in the US. This whole problem has been discussed in a myriad of forums over the Digital Millennium Copyright Act over the past many years. This rises to the front when one media supplants another, records to CDs, VHS to DVD, and now DVDs to BluRay. Obviously the vendor wants you to buy another copy of your films, after all they are in it to make a buck.

Supposedly (and this has been debated) you should be able to make one backup copy of your movies, but technically you might get yourself in trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Some video capture cards work, some do not.

Here is a page which will give you a lot of information about cards which work:
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Martym View Post
    How is any device to know that a VHS tape you have is copyrighted?
    There are encoded signals that the DVD recorder will recognize.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Martym View Post
    How is any device to know that a VHS tape you have is copyrighted?
    Macrovision. It was an analog (IIRC) technology that basically inserted an extra signal into the picture information on the tape. The extra signal was normally invisible, but scrambled the video unintelligibly if you tried to copy the tape.

You can buy devices to strip off the Macrovision signal. It's a fairly simple matter of filtering the Macrovision component out of the VCR's output signal. Downside: you have to buy the device.

I think the original poster is in for some shopping regardless, because at minimum he's going to need a USB video capture device or TV tuner card. Some of them are quite cheap, around $20. So there is no free lunch, but it need not be expensive.

Re-buying the movies in DVD format is not a realistic option. The 4-year-old is unlikely to notice or appreciate the slightly better quality of DVD vs. VHS. Anyway there is no reason the guy should have to shell out several hundred bucks. Disney already got their cut.
    Samsung Series 3 15.6" notebook (NP300-V5A-A02US)

Beans

I ran into this problem a while ago. I had lots of VHS tapes shot with the first ever Sony Handycam. I did not want to loose all these so I decide to digitize all of it.

1. you need a video grabber. Some are very cheap, but your video will be 640x480 interlaced if you get the cheap cards. Hauppage, a german company produces excellent grabbing cards, but you are looking into 100-200$ for something good.

2. Attach your VCR to the grabber card, rewind the cassette.

3. You can use KINO (in the repos) to grab the video. Press play on VCR and grab in KINO. get LOTS of HDD space, since it grabs the video to raw format. 12GB per movie. (Uh-oh) Then you need to encode it with KINO to reduce the size. Then you can burn in to a DVD if you like.

4. Be prepared to invest money and time into this.

5. My advice - buy new DVDs, quality will be much better. Or go to wallmart and let them do the work. It is really not worth it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AcIDx0 View Post
    I ran into this problem a while ago. I had lots of VHS tapes shot with the first ever Sony Handycam. I did not want to loose all these so I decide to digitize all of it.

1. you need a video grabber. Some are very cheap, but your video will be 640x480 interlaced if you get the cheap cards. Hauppage, a german company produces excellent grabbing cards, but you are looking into 100-200$ for something good.

2. Attach your VCR to the grabber card, rewind the cassette.

3. You can use KINO (in the repos) to grab the video. Press play on VCR and grab in KINO. get LOTS of HDD space, since it grabs the video to raw format. 12GB per movie. (Uh-oh) Then you need to encode it with KINO to reduce the size. Then you can burn in to a DVD if you like.

4. Be prepared to invest money and time into this.

5. My advice - buy new DVDs, quality will be much better. Or go to wallmart and let them do the work. It is really not worth it.

Does KINO recognize Pinnacle Dazzle DVC-100?

Beans

I would like to share my way:
    I have an old VCR (NV-FS100), I connected the VCR RF-OUT (conventional "TV" cabel) to my MSI TV@Anywhere Plus TVtuner card TV input. I installed xawtv from rep. (ubuntu 9.10) I have found my VCR's signal via pushing on XawTV the CTRL+UP arrow (auto scan) - it was in my case on channel 36.
    My settings were (Hungary):
    TV-norm: PAL-BG,
    Video source: Television
    audio mode: mono
    Freq table: west eu
    Capture: grabdisplay

Okey, I was able to record the video from the VCR via pushing "R" - record movie (or choose it via right mouse click) ,

important! :

Movie driver : Microsoft AVI (RIFF) format
    video format : MJPEG (AVI)

and everything was perfect, but I had NO SOUND!

Fortunatelly i have figured it out that I have to "hook" the TVtuner's audio cable into the MIC instead of the LINE-IN. So I have sound too! (I use to watch cable TV with TVtime (the best!), and TVtime uses the line-in to hook thew sound signal into my motherboard, so i can use SKype next to TVtime)

That's it

ps.: after getting the avi, there are billions of software to convert avi into DVD format, in my case the quality was not a problem, because the VHS casette what i convert is already really noise (some old home videos)

Beans

I have observed that Apple services is even more jealous of it's video files. If you buy a film on iTunes it doesn't even let you keep one copy on your computer (say you want to watch it on your laptop on a long journey?!) but instead you must be connected to the internet. I think it checks you are a valid user then streams it, or maybe it's on your computer but you can't watch it without validation through the 'net.
    Anyway it's very frustrating for us neanderthals who like to have something physical in out hands when we buy a film!
    whereas on the contrary music files, which someone took the care and attention to play beautifully for you, are freely available on the internet.
    Why this double standard on the part of the music industry and film industry? Why should people so easily at the flick of a switch be able to break music copyright laws when films are so heavily protected?

I think it may have something to do with spans of attention and the modern child's addiction to things visual (at the expense of the musical or audio.)

We are in an age which puts a premium on the visual, at the expense of the audio. Take this latest explosion of so-called "3-D". I have never used one but think it an unecessary encumbrance. Film reviewer Mark Kermode ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermo...r_time_is.html ) agrees with me, for different reasons.
    What does 3-D mean? It is a nonsense and was first tried and abandoned years ago (rightly so!) I live in a world which is what I might call "3-and-a-half-D" i.e. I (hopefully) have freedom of movement in 3 and half dimensions (time being a "one-way" dimension,) but what does sitting as a passive observer immersed in an illusiory multi dimensional visual architecture mean to me?
    In effect it is narrowing down the gap between observer and observed in a quite insidious and obsequious way.
    Finally, when I am watching a film with some friends, I am also sharing in their enjoyment of it. I am watching the film, yes, but I am also watching my companions to see THEIR reactions. That is part of the enjoyment of the film.
    3-D is no assurance of good acting skills amongst the protagonists. It asists the levelling of experience into mere sensation and sates the visual appetite with things, not necessarily healthy. The on-and-off flickering of the powered glasses cannot be healthy and probably epileptics cannot watch with them.

Beans
    Distro

its a tedeous process but heres what you do:

buy video input device (Dazzle/tv tuner card/Composite input device)
    Hook VCR up to it.
    Choose video streamrecorder program of your choice
    tell it to record video file from input stream device.
    burn saved file to dvd using dvd authoring program of your choice (I like DVDstyler myself)

handy if your going to do some video editing as well, otherwise just buy the dvd...

...or download the torrent..
    "Cannon to the left of them, cannon to the right of them, cannon in front of them, volleyed and thundered..." -Lord Tennyson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast