Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A month or more later and still problems>help please!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy A month or more later and still problems>help please!

Please can someone explain to me why one day I am on a "link local" network..and the next minute I get a a message saying link local is not compatible with Avahi..that the network has been disconnected. (In favour of a Windows Network)...I can't understand why if I use Ubuntu and my provider is BT why I am on a Windows network.(I am a standalone situation) or why these two networks fight continually to link me up. I asked a while back but got no replies.I rang my ISP but they had no knowledge. I experimented a bit and found that if I reformatted using a foreign language with the Republic of Ireland as my update center I got some respite...I am fed up and considering either a Mac or giving up PC's full stop....It wouldnt be so bad but my laptop sends commands to my desktop(behind my back lol) and the bios has been altered (even with a password on) and set to automatically reset if I change it.I honestly feel as if there is no privacy no peace and no security....what the hell am I doing wrong? Does everyone get hounded these days or is it just me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A month or more later and still problems>help please!

I'm not fond of the avahi "autoconf" network - probably because I don't understand it. I presume you've tried the "standard" methods (no, I haven't searched your other posts).
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

As an amateur and a divvy and new to ubuntu I dont even know what standard is...I'll try getting rid of ahavi (or however u spell it)...Ive put netbook remix on so its simpler and easier to use and guess I'll just have to learn the hard way...thanks for the reply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My version of "standard" is either a DHCP or a static (manual) address. I presume you've tried them without success?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I will try and work out what that means! If I get rid of avahi will that help? what do I need to install or uninstall?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You don't need to get rid of avahi, and you shouldn't as it is an integral part of the operating system.

The way I understand it you have a modem supplied by your isp, and it works, a router is connected to the modem and you computer is connected to the router. How are you connecting the computer to the router, you mentioned something about ethernet over the power lines?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

sorry..its definately me..... NO... Pc cabled to xternal modem (inc router but wireless disabled)...modem to phone line....cabled round the various local abodes...and then through one large building and 4 miles off to the local exchange.........ethernets the driver in the PC isnt it..the device for latching onto the network as I understand it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ps re the power lines! (not broadband cable but the electricity)...if I turn off and pull out plugs etc..some idiot is sending broadband through the electricity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Do you have a contract with an ISP?

I can't find any information about BT offering a "link-local" residential service. If they do then I assume you have some sort of Network Administrator... can they assist?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We don't really care how the modem connects to the internet, as long as it works. Can you access the router/modem through it's user interface? usually by entering router's ip address in a web browser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast