Thread: WRT160N not connecting, other wired/wireless do

Beans

Exclamation WRT160N not connecting, other wired/wireless do

OK So I moved today and had to purchase a new wireless router. Without changing any setting I connected using WiCd wirelessly from my last residence.

I now purchased a Linksys WRT160N wireless router to use however cant connect to that wired or wireless. well let me specify, WiCd states its connected but no internet connection is found in firefox.

I can connect directly to the motorola surfboard modem without a hitch, and can connect to a local unsecured network (hola)

I read somewhere that this was fixed by bridging the wireless router and the modem but I cant find directions on how to do that, if that is the case? that the Surboard Modem needs to be in bridge mode?

Beans

Re: WRT160N not connecting, other wired/wireless do

come on gurus, bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: WRT160N not connecting, other wired/wireless do

This may be a bit elemental, but let's start with the simple stuff and move forward. The Surfboard modem has an ethernet jack that is connected with an ethernet cable to the WAN port on the router.

Then, your computer has an ethernet port that connects to a LAN port on the router.

If you have verified that is the way things are connected, please power down all three devices and then power up the modem, wait a few moments and power up the router and, after a few moments, boot your computer. On the computer, open Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal and do:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Does your eth0 interface have an IP address, like this?
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 99:19:d2:c2:88:87
    inet addr:192.168.1.103 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    If so, do:
    Code:
    ping -c3 www.google.com
    If you get ping returns, you are all set. If not, post back.
    Chili's Folly: Intel NUC, i3-4010U, 120 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, external 500 GB HDD, Ubuntu Saucy; small, silent and fast.