Thread: Should I buy the Motorola Droid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Should I buy the Motorola Droid

Hey guys. I am in the market for a phone, and I have been out of the country for the past 11 years. I have no idea about which kind to get. I hear that some of the phones are "linux based". Does that mean you can run scripts and use a shell, download linux software like open office and whatnot? Which is the best out right now? I saw the droid and everyone I talked to seems to like it. Some people here say it is linux based and when I went to Verizon, they said it is a google operating system. What does this mean? To my knowlege google is in it for the big bucks. I would like my phone to be state-of-the-art, with cool linux software, but not to buggy. What do you recommend and why? Please don't just post and say "so and so phone rocks!" without saying why.
    Thanks guys.
    Using: Elitegroup P55H-A Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
    SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 Video Card
    4 Gigs of RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Should I buy the Motorola Droid

There are several alternatives.

Nokia's N900 is based on Debian Linux (as is Ubuntu), with a user interface called Maemo that uses both GTK and QT. Some familiar Linux applications are available. Nokia and Intel have announced that it will be merged with the Moblin project and will be called MeeGo. Of the various Linux-based phone systems, it's the most familiar to Linux users.

The Android system has a Linux foundation, but it is covered by a Java-based user interface layer from Google that is somewhat restrictive in terms of access to familiar Linux tools, but you can get root access if you work at it.

The Palm Pre also is based on Linux and getting below the phone interface is fairly straightforward.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am not sure what "root access" is exactly when it comes to a mobile phone. Also, what do you mean by "getting below the phone interface"?
    Thanks for your in-depth reply.
    4 Gigs of RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

basically the phones are very locked down. all of them boot and log you in automatically as a user without root privileges. with all but the nokia n900 (as far as i know), getting root privileges requires jumping through hoops and may even require 'jail-breaking' your phone and may void your warentee.
    there are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and i don't know who the other F are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So, I guess what I am asking is, what can you do with root access?
    Can you install whatever you want to on there like gimp or Open Office? Or is gaining root access more for like customizing how your phone looks? It looks like the gps on the Nokia n900 has something to be desired- at least that is what I read on a couple reviews. When it becomes Meego, would I have to have a totally new operating system loaded on?
    4 Gigs of RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, the droid does not have a standard glibc or X server, so you can't really compile that much software for it. however, some have reported that you can install debian alongside the original droid operating system and then multiboot it.

the n900 is much closer to a standard desktop linux distribution.
    there are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and i don't know who the other F are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What about Meego? When it changes over is that going to affect the users who have the n900 before the change?
    4 Gigs of RAM