Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How can Ubuntu pretend to be stable as based on Debian Testing or Sid?

Beans

Re: How can Ubuntu pretend to be stable as based on Debian Testing or Sid?

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Just come to mind: Debian stable is also based on Debian testing.
    True. But Debian testing typically goes through about 12 months of development before feature freeze, followed by another six months of integration testing afterward, before being released as stable.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Y'know, it's kinda like a seesaw (teeter-totter). You put the fulcrum wherever it works for whoever is using it.

My biggest complaint with Ubuntu is its claim to be "beginner friendly" while still including Beta software - turning Linux newbies into laboratory rats without their knowledge and consent. I think beginners need stability more than the latest stuff (so move the fulcrum to favor stability for those users). After they've gained some experience and are ready (and willing) to take some risk and explore, let them do it with eyes open and informed choice.

-Robin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tamiii View Post
    Hi there,

I've been looking at ubuntu and debian for quite a while now and I figured out ubuntu 9.10 was based on debian Sid (which is the most unstable version of debian) while the next ubuntu 10.04 will be based on debian Testing (which is between debian stable and sid in terms of stability).

Just a simple question: how the ubuntu developers do to make a stable release based on a buggy debian while debian developers take much more time to release a very stable release?
    Easy, they made it stable, added whipped cream, then released it.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedancer View Post
    turning Linux newbies into laboratory rats without their knowledge and consent.
    What!? We/they consent when they install Ubuntu. Is your case not true for mostly everyone using a 64bit processor? I guess PC makers shouldn't be selling 64bit processors until there is a stable non-beta version of Adobe Flash?

I guess you could throw that accusation at Windows for allowing people to install Windows 7 being that it has so many problems, it must still be considered beta, right?
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

LOL, no, that's not quite what I'm saying. I'm just say'n that it's scary enough for newbies to try out a whole 'nother OS without including unproven software that gives even experienced Linux users fits when it doesn't play nice on their 'puter. The stuff is great when it works! But I think it's a mistake to put it in a distro aimed at newbies until it is proven, patched, or at least has a work-around that newbies can handle, that's all.

-Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ubuntu 8.04 is extremely stable now but that took about 6 months. I would not expect Lucid to do any better than 8.04 so if you want a stable Ubuntu you need to wait a few months on the LTS releases and maybe skip the ones in between. I had a really bad time with Intrepid, Jaunty was better and Karmic so-so. I still use Hardy as my main install and all those others will go bye bye when I move to lucid in about 6 months.

Ooooo....I just got updated to the new lucid wallpaper on my other machine, very nice.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

as a n00b not too long ago, I found Karmic relatively n00b friendly. My issues were: X crashes, pulseaudio causing crashes, printer driver hard to find. I did my research coming in and knew there may be problems putting Linux on a computer built for Windows. I sucked it up and worked through them and it's now running like a well oiled machine. Not even considering upgrading to Lucid as yet, they have nothing that I see to attract me to it.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Registered Ubuntu User #30633
    Ubuntu 10.10 P4 2.66 2MB DDR2 2x40Gig

Beans

I am testing Lucid on my Netbook and it looks and runs great. I plan to upgrade all of my machines to it when it goes to Beta testing. I have nothing against Debian, but I would never recommend Deb to a newcomer. Ubuntu does mostly everything for the new person.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tamiii View Post
    Hi there,

I've been looking at ubuntu and debian for quite a while now and I figured out ubuntu 9.10 was based on debian Sid (which is the most unstable version of debian) while the next ubuntu 10.4 will be based on debian Testing (which is between debian stable and sid in terms of stability).

Just a simple question: how the ubuntu developers do to make a stable release based on a buggy debian while debian developers take much more time to release a very stable release?
    I wouldn't call Debian Sid "buggy". Sid is a rapidly moving base of software, but it includes the latest released software. Alpha and beta software usually end up in the experimental branch. For instance, Sid doesn't even have the latest KDE because they don't want all of the overhang with the new bugs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123