Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can Ubuntu pretend to be stable as based on Debian Testing or Sid?

Beans

Lightbulb How can Ubuntu pretend to be stable as based on Debian Testing or Sid?

Hi there,

I've been looking at ubuntu and debian for quite a while now and I figured out ubuntu 9.10 was based on debian Sid (which is the most unstable version of debian) while the next ubuntu 10.4 will be based on debian Testing (which is between debian stable and sid in terms of stability).

Just a simple question: how the ubuntu developers do to make a stable release based on a buggy debian while debian developers take much more time to release a very stable release?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How can Ubuntu pretend to be stable as based on Debian Testing or Sid?

Fix the base so it's less buggy and build on that?!

Beans

There's no question Debian Stable is more stable than Ubuntu. However, most desktop users do not want old applications like Firefox 3.0, Openoffice 2.4, etc. Therefore Ubuntu is very popular in this niche. Ubuntu's 6-month cycle is a good compromise between up-to-date features and stability.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I think Ubuntu has a few ex Debian developers including Mr. Shuttleworth himself.

Beans

So actually if I want the most stable version of ubuntu right now I should go for the 8.04 LTS and upgrade to the 10.04 at the end of this summer?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tamiii View Post
    So actually if I want the most stable version of ubuntu right now I should go for the 8.04 LTS and upgrade to the 10.04 at the end of this summer?
    i would wait until 10.04 comes out and do a clean install. yes, the devs take unstable and work on it to make it relatively stable by release. but a few months after release, by doing updates immediately, you have a pretty rock solid system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

J_Stanton
    would wait until 10.04 comes out and do a clean install. yes, the devs take unstable and work on it to make it relatively stable by release. but a few months after release, by doing updates immediately, you have a pretty rock solid system.
    May I also suggest testing prior to installation. Which would assure system compatibility and functionality prior to installing on one's primary HDD.

I do agree with J_Stanton, that a fresh install is the preferred installation procedure. Only difference is I'd test before committing. Just my $0.02

* The above response is only my opinion and not meant for debate.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Moved to Community Cafe.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Also this "stable" is not the opposite of "buggy", but the opposite of "rolling release".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by J_Stanton View Post
    i would wait until 10.04 comes out and do a clean install. yes, the devs take unstable and work on it to make it relatively stable by release. but a few months after release, by doing updates immediately, you have a pretty rock solid system.
    Not any longer they are going to use testing this time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast