Thread: best remote for htpc

Beans

best remote for htpc

I'm planning on building a simple htpc to run boxee/xbmc/hulu desktop from, and i'd like to know what might be a good remote to use. for some of the operations i'll remote into the desktop, but i'd like to have a remote to use when using the boxee/xbmc/hulu apps. so i thought i'd ask and see if anyone had some suggestions

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: best remote for htpc

Quote Originally Posted by brdohman View Post
    I'm planning on building a simple htpc to run boxee/xbmc/hulu desktop from, and i'd like to know what might be a good remote to use. for some of the operations i'll remote into the desktop, but i'd like to have a remote to use when using the boxee/xbmc/hulu apps. so i thought i'd ask and see if anyone had some suggestions

thanks
    An iPhone/iPod touch if you got one. Actually, I'm on the same hunt right now. I have a Nokia N800 and my wife has an N810 that I'm going to be fooling around with soon here to see if I can get it to work. I've also been fooling around with my WiiMote and it does a nice job as a "mouse".
    Does not hide his beans.
    Is a proud supporter of nuclear energy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by DownTown22 View Post
    An iPhone/iPod touch if you got one.
    I second that notion. I have an Ubuntu-driven HTPC that really only runs Boxee, and occasionally XMBC, (which usually isn't needed because Boxee is XMBC, just rebuilt,) and I user my iPod Touch to control it. It works very nicely, and suprisingly, it doesn't take very long to connect to the box when I wake up the iPod Touch. (It has to connect WiFi, but it doesn't take but 3 or 4 seconds before I can control Boxee.)
    Last edited by teejmya; March 19th, 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Fixed the Quote.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'd actually be really interested in what people use for remotes as well.

How do you use your iphone/itouch for this? Does it just work for Boxee, or does it work in XBMC and MythTV as well?

Would a keyboard/mouse combo be better?

What about IR remotes? Worth the hassle?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When using the iPod Touch with Boxee, you can use the FREE Boxee app from the iTunes store. There's also apps to use with XBMC as well. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head if there's any MythTV apps...who knows.

A cool "remote" would also be the Logitech MX Air mouse. That way you could have all your functions of a mouse without the need of a surface for the mouse to work on.

If you feel the need to do a lot of typing on your HTPC, then yes, a keyboard probably would be handy. Maybe even a keyboard that has a trackpad built into it....not sure if those are compatible though as I've never tested one out.
    Does not hide his beans.
    Is a proud supporter of nuclear energy.