Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who can NOT get networking to work? Thread to get everyone networked by Beta!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Who can NOT get networking to work? Thread to get everyone networked by Beta!

I just tried again, to get 3 PC's and a wireless netbook to connect, un Ubuntu Karmic, Lucid and WinXPSP3. All have same "workgroup" name, some have directory folders shared, Printer is set to share.

I get:
    No printing remotely.
    No file access at all.
    Some Workgroup names do appear.

I am willing to set a test environment to work on this again.

Those of you who can not get Samba (or whatever Lucid network client) to successfully transfer files and to print remotely, please chime in.

Those who want to assist, please do so also.

First, will someone please post what exact information we need to post to begin the diagnosis; a standard list for those who can't network to check, and optionally attach?

Inspired by this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=nautilus
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Distro

Re: Lucid-Who can NOT get networking to work? Thread to get everyone networked by Bet

FWIW, I have had this issue for a few years.

I am sure it's something simple, never been important enough to focus on, but have tried a few times, including posts here and Launchpad bug submissions.

I even cleaned out 2 PC's to work with debugging, but no one offerd assistance.

One would think a core OS feature; even if only a few can't get it, would be more important than the fluffy things like login screens, and online music stores...

Oh well...
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lucid-Who can NOT get networking to work? Thread to get everyone networked by Bet

Samba is not working properly for me (client 10.04 attempting to connect to 9.10 server)

bugreport:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...fs/+bug/532024
    bugreport upstream:
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=612202

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If samba isn't working properly for you, I'd recommend using SSH instead. I haven't had a networking problem since I dropped Samba.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    If samba isn't working properly for you, I'd recommend using SSH instead. I haven't had a networking problem since I dropped Samba.
    I use ssh, just not for file sharing...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

We should know what your setup is, do you have a server? or are you just connecting between a windows computer and a Ubuntu computer? Is it a direct connection via a crossover cable or through a router? Static or dynamic ip addresses?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    We should know what your setup is, do you have a server? or are you just connecting between a windows computer and a Ubuntu computer? Is it a direct connection via a crossover cable or through a router? Static or dynamic ip addresses?
    ubuntu server (9.10), ubuntu desktops (10.04), static ip addresses, router.

2 Ubuntu desktops (9.10), arch desktop, debian lenny desktop, fedora 12 desktop are all working fine, it's just the 10.04 desktops.
    Last edited by whoop; March 10th, 2010 at 07:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well this is how I officially started this:
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...question/87080

They "passed the buck" and made the Bug a Question.

5 computers, 2 desktops (wired) , 2 laptops (wired or wireless), 1 Netbook (wireless).
    3 with Ubuntu Karmic and Lucid and Win XPSP3, 1 with Karmic only and WinXP, one with XP only. No server, just have a Linksys WRT54GL router. I have been able to get Windows to network to Windows in the past, so I know it's possible...

IP addresses; on the network? I thought "intranet" IP's were static? Not too "hip" on the depths of the protocol (otherwise I'd have figured this out by now...).

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We should know what your setup is, do you have a server?
    I can also give my setup, but that is not the issue. The issue is that it works in 9.10 and that it worked in the first 10.04 alpha.

So, the issue is that it is a regression bug, like so many other bugs in 10.04 (it works, and then suddenly it doesn't work anymore).

Ceterum autem censeo, Fenestras esse delendas

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by timosha View Post
    So, the issue is that it is a regression bug, like so many other bugs in 10.04 (it works, and then suddenly it doesn't work anymore).
    Fairly normal. It's an alpha version. Lots of packages get upgraded - there is always some breakage going along with that, which then needs to get fixed before release.

That's not to say you shouldn't raise the issue. That's also what alpha versions are about. Just that the above remark sounds like you think there is something terribly gone wrong when an alpha version has occasional regressions.

Anybody who's not comfortable with breakage during dev cycles - wait for the release version.
    Asus G75 - 2.3GHz - NVidia 660M - Atheros AR9485 - 8 GB RAM - Ubuntu 13.10
    Asus F201E - 1.1 GHz - Intel - 2 GB RAM - Ubuntu - 14.04
    Dell XPS 16 - 2.8GHz - ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 - PRO/Wireless 5300 AGN - 4 GB RAM - Ubuntu - 14.04

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast