Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba fan not working

Beans

Re: Toshiba fan not working

Sliglthy off topic:
    I had a Toshiba, fan worked, then after years the fan broke down. As a very temporay fix you can direct a normal fan into where the laptop fan normally blows out the heat, that keeps the temperature down.
    Sorry, that's all I have to contribute.

Andreas

Beans

Well I got the fan to finally work with a different distribution of Linux (using Linux Mint 8 live cd right now). It is kinda odd because from what I have read this distribution is a variation of Ubuntu. I was able to watch movies, surf the net, and convert a dvd to digital file without having the laptop overheat and shut itself down. It got up to 85 during the last 1/3 of the movie but never went above that. Once the movie was done converting it dropped back down to 51 within 5 mins.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Djalmahal View Post
    Sliglthy off topic:
    I had a Toshiba, fan worked, then after years the fan broke down. As a very temporay fix you can direct a normal fan into where the laptop fan normally blows out the heat, that keeps the temperature down.
    Sorry, that's all I have to contribute.

Andreas
    My Toshiba fan broke in half a year, they replaced it, now it is again having some problems. Also overheating is always a problem with toshiba.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CBR_Rob View Post
    Well I got the fan to finally work with a different distribution of Linux (using Linux Mint 8 live cd right now). It is kinda odd because from what I have read this distribution is a variation of Ubuntu. I was able to watch movies, surf the net, and convert a dvd to digital file without having the laptop overheat and shut itself down. It got up to 85 during the last 1/3 of the movie but never went above that. Once the movie was done converting it dropped back down to 51 within 5 mins.
    Congratulations.

In general, trying various releases of Ubuntu (8.04 - 9.04 - 9.10 - 10.04 alpha) is by far the best way to solve problems. It is a waste of time to force a given Ubuntu to obedience, if one has not tried alternative releases first.

Beans

I have a toshiba U505-S2960 I am running the 64-bit 9.10 Ubuntu.

I was amazed to see Ubuntu didn't pick up my driver immediately. I have been using Ubuntu for my desktop for a while now, just love the OS so simple and yet so effective anyway.

I had problems with the wifi drivers and the fan.

The Wifi driver was easy, the Fan was the problem, but I figured a way to make it work, its kinda annoying tho.

basically FN+F3 seems to make the machine go into stand by or something, when I press the power button again to wake it out of this state. the fan starts to work. The highest I can get the temp to goto is 45 C. I had a few browsers open, burning a CD and compiling something in virtual box running Windows XP to get it to 45C. idle is around 35~38C

I am not sure what the FN+F3 does, as closing the lid and pressing power button to wake it up doesn't have the same effect.

The annoying part is every time I restart I have to do it. The simple solution is don't shut down or restart just close the lid and let it go to stand by.

I have added a picture of the icon on F3 button looks like a bios chip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I have a Toshiba U500 and the fan mostly works, but sometimes I have to reboot to get it to work. There doesn't seem to be any method in the madness. I would like to just run a power wire and a 200 Ohm resistor to the damn fan, but at present I'm living in an area where electronics parts are hard to come by.

Beans

You aren't very far from the Middle East's biggest electronic market.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i have the same issue regarding fan problem and high temperature.

I am still stuck with this issue.

im using toshiba m900
    squeeze it and release it =)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    I would like to just run a power wire and a 200 Ohm resistor to the damn fan, but at present I'm living in an area where electronics parts are hard to come by.
    Rather than using a resistor I would recommend a series of diodes, for example 1N4001. The voltage drop over a resistor depends on the current through it, but there is always 0,7 V over a diode.

I use this sometimes when I have a noisy fan. Making it running a little slower through a voltage drop of x * 0,7 V often makes the fan noiseless.

But again - one should expect Ubuntu to take care of this.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

too bad Ubuntu 10.04 LTS has not fixed this issue.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast