Thread: Dual booting with compaq evo D510 CMT

Beans

Question Dual booting with compaq evo D510 CMT

Perhaps someone here can help. I am interested in dual booting my Compaq EVO D510 CMT. I am presently using Windows XP on C Drive and Linux Mint installed with Virtual Box.

I do have a second HDD of 40GB. My Primary drive with windows is 80GB. I am interested in installing Linux Mint on the secondary drive, but I would also like to partition that drive so that I am only using about 7GB of space of the entire 40GB.

My concern is that using a boot loader could really mess up my Windows install and I would have to reinstall eveything. I have heard there are a number of people who have had the same issue. Is there a boot loader for Linux Mint?

My other concern is whether or not the boot loader can successfully work on my compaq, enabling me to select from the two hard drives. I would like to see my 40GB drive have two partitions, one for the Mint OS and the remainder for storing files.

My version of XP would remain on the 80GB C drive. Any help with this would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Dual booting with compaq evo D510 CMT

Just trying that install right now,will post back in awhile......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Dual booting with compaq evo D510 CMT

Hello, I too have a compaq evo d510, and I would like to set it up to have Ubuntu on one hd, XP on the second hd. When I put the second one in (blank for now) bios does not allow me to boot from it. Would that be resolved by having XP installed on it? Also, what is the best way to set the hd's up? Right now I have the main hd on the primary ATA channel, and the cd-rom and second hd on the secondary ATA channel. Putting both hd's on the same channel would require a new cable, or cable extension. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Steve