Thread: Wireless pci cards not working

Beans

Unhappy Wireless pci cards not working

I have two pci wireless cards, one generic acer, and the other i belive to be a D-link airplus G. nether of them work in my brand new ununtu instalation (9.10). i do not have much information on either the card or the pc as it is a collection of old parts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Wireless pci cards not working

You'll see from this page that D-Link PCI cards come with a wide variety of wireless chipsets - some work well, some don't. My D-Link AirPlusG had the ACX111 chipset which was such a stinker that I threw it out. Which doesn't necessarily mean that yours has. Let's hope not. I think AirPlusG is a generic tradename which says nothing about the chipset.

Put the PCI cards in one after the other, open a terminal and do:

Code:
    lspci
    Look for the line that says "Wireless" or "802.11" and post that. Both of them - one for each card. Then we can see what chipsets you've got there, and what needs to be done to get them to work.

Edit: it probably won't do any harm to put both in at once (if you've got two spare PCI slots). That way you can get the information for both at the same time. The command 'lspci' merely lists all devices on the PCI buses.
    Last edited by coffeecat; March 2nd, 2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

doesn't appear to be there, I put the acer card in but i couldnt find the d-link

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82815 815 Chipset Host Bridge and Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset Graphics Controller (CGC) (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.4 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller (rev 01)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You're right - it's not there. Have you another PCI slot? It's just possible that the PCI slot you've used is dead. If so, and you tested both cards in that one, that might explain why they won't work. So, try lspci with the Acer card in another slot if there is one.

If not, and you do find the D-Link, try the D-Link in the same slot and if nothing wirelessy appears in lspci then the PCI slot must be faulty.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I have found the D-link card but the screws on the blanking plates for the other sokets are prity stiff, might take some time to crack it open but I should get it done by the weekend

Beans

I fount the D-link card and put it in a different slot, it appears on lspci as:
    Code:
    RaLink RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g
    i also put the acer card in but it causes the computer to hang when starting up, i tried all possible combinations and this is still the case however after carefull analasys of the hard I THINK I have identifyed it as a:
    Code:
    RTL8185L

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

From the information you've given, it seems as though the first PCI slot is faulty, so you'll have to use the second - the one you got the lspci output from.

Acer card - if it causes the computer to hang, that's enough reason not to use it. I've done a quick search of this forum and it seems others have had freezing systems with this Realtek chipset and difficulties getting it working. I have a PCI card with a different Realtek chipset, and performance is poor. Several reasons then not to use this card.

But the good news....

Your D-Link has a Ralink chipset - Ralink is usually very good in Linux and I've found reports that the RT2561 works just fine. I suggest you put the D-Link in the working PCI slot, boot up, click on the Network Manager icon and see if your wireless network is listed. If it is, just click on your network and put in your passkey where prompted.

Good luck!
    Last edited by coffeecat; March 4th, 2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

yay it works, i'm even posting from ubuntu!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Excellent!