Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
If by "able to get working" you mean running the live desktop, the most trouble free way to install in place of particular ntfs partition is:

From the live desktop open Gparted (System-Administration) and delete the partition you want to install in place of. Of course make sure you copy your data from that partition first. Click on the green button in Gparted to execute the command. Leave the space as unallocated after deleting the partition.

Then click the Install icon on the desktop and in step 4 of the installer tell it to Use Largest Available Free space. That will be the unallocated space you prepared. The installer will take care of everything after that. Hopefully it will boot after the restart after the install. If it doesn't you might need to add a driver in recovery mode or similar.

Actually I think linux names partitions much better than windows, the name of the disk /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc, and a number to mark which partition on the disk it is. While in windows the drive letter means nothing at all, you can even change them around. But of course it takes some time getting used to.
I wanted to drop a note and let you know I'm going to give it a try. (Sometimes people ask a question a forum and disappear forever.. not me, I'll let ya know what happens)