Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primary drive full - new drive doesnt help

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Primary drive full - new drive doesnt help

Wow you have a very messed up partition scheme there. You only have 3 gigs for your root fs, but 16 gigs for swap. If you use gptarted to DELETE a partition, then yes, everything in it is gone. It can also resize and move them though, and that does not destroy data ( unless something goes wrong ).

It sounds like you need to just reinstall. I'd suggest just installing to the new hd all by itself, get the system working, then plug in the old drive and pull off any data you want to save.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK. I have almost solved this.

Neither the hardy disk (which was used to set this computer up, so i know it's ok) nor the genuine Ubuntu Gutsy Live cd would boot. So it appeared i was stuck. I decided to try one last thing:

1. I managed to burn a cd with the iso. To achieve that, I had to specify that the temp file was created on the new virtually empty disk. The realization that this was necessary was not helped by the fact that it kept saying that "the" disk ws full, so I kept trying new cds...

2. I booted from the new karmic disk successfully and went to System->Admin->Gparted, where I removed the sda8 swap file, reduced the size of the sda5 swap file and increased the ext3 partition to around 30gb.

3. I did a clean install of karmic, manually selecting the 2 partitions I just sorted out.

And now it's working.

Only one problem. How do I retrieve my bookmarks, so on, for Firefox> I carefully backed up the .mozilla folder which contains all this stuff (i believe), but deleting the new .default folder makes firefox unusable, even though the old one is there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Right, in case anybody has to go through a similar saga, I'll just finish off the final fix.

To get your old profile to be the one that's used, you just need to [go to your home folder, select View Hidden Files to find the folder] edit .mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini to put your old profile name in:

Code:
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=YOURPROFILEID.default
    Default=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The way I managed this problem was to boot a liveCD, then shrink the first (XP) partition from 60 to 50GB, then expand the root partition to fill the hole (20 to 30GB and move left).

Using the liveCD is the way to go here I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12