Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: LaTeX [TeXLive] with Kile [gnome & ...]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow HOWTO: LaTeX [TeXLive] with Kile [gnome & ...]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: May 11, 2007.
    Texlive and kile are avaialble in the repos. So you do not have to follow the howto to install texlive. Though Its good to have the texlive in a CD if you end up in a place where you dont have high speed internet connection. Another advantage of using repos is that you can selectively install stuff you need. for eg. language packs, and several meta packages.

I would suggest installing texlive first and then kile to avoid tetex. I have also seen that when you install texlive from the repos, it will take out tetex if it is already installed.
    if you do not want to use kde stuff, and like gnome, try texmaker. howto here
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

For the latex lovers out there who are looking for a great editor, I highly recommend kile....Usually installing kile from the repos brings tetex with it....
    This thread discusses installing LaTeX (TEXLIVE2005) the most comprehensive latex system....

If you want to install kile without tetex...follow this HOWTO

Various steps are:

I. Download and install Texlive2005.

1. Obtain TeXlive here. and
    Burn it as iso image into a CD.

2 Install Texlive2005 to disk[this is not for running it live]

Mount the texlive2005 CD and navigate to that directory using a terminal.
    Code:
    cd /media/cdrom0
    3. now install process.

Code:
    sudo sh install-tl.sh
    4. You will be prompted with various options. I didnt change any of the suggested dir locations etc. just do this:
    Code:
     i
    and enter.

5. Now this is very important. set the PATH. [this information is provided in The TeX Live Guide pp.11]. I did this before I could run texconfig. Its good if we could set the PATH first, I think.

Code:
    PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/i386-linux:$PATH; export PATH
    you can do this at the terminal or put it at the end in /etc/bash.bashrc
    This way, the path will be set when you login as this file is run at login.

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/bash.bashrc
    copy-paste the above PATH at the end of the file. save and close.

check the path and make sure that the path is there...
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    discussions on setting env variables can be found here.

6. Now run

Code:
    texconfig
    if it returns 'command not found' the the Path is not set properly. i would suggest re-login after setting the path. Else, what you could do is to run the above path command at the terminal to activate it for the time being.

7. run
    Code:
    sudo texhash
    This updates various file name databases. [pp. 13 of tex live guide]

8. make sure it works...at the terminal type,

Code:
    tex --version
    you should see this:

Code:
    TeX 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.5)
    kpathsea version 3.5.5
    Copyright 2005 D.E. Knuth.
    Kpathsea is copyright 2005 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
    There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
    covered by the terms of both the TeX copyright and
    the Lesser GNU General Public License.
    For more information about these matters, see the file
    named COPYING and the TeX source.
    Primary author of TeX: D.E. Knuth.
    Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.
    Good. Its working ! Make sure all the tex commands are working by trying at the terminal (any directory) one by one...

latex, dvips, bibtex, gv, makeindex, xdvi, pdflatex, dvipdfm, ps2pdf, xpdf or acroread (install separately and make it executable), and mpost.

I have seen some permission issues preventing the commands running even from the terminal. so you can actually set the permissions using chmod command. Below is a sample (be careful when setting permission: do some research on issues when setting permissions or get help from some guru if in doubt). Couple of good references on this are here (detailed) and here (brief)

Code:
    sudo chmod -R  755 /usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/i386-linux
    II. Install kile.

1. This section assumes that you haven't changed the TeXLive default dir locations

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kile
    OR, you could use synaptic to install kile. In either case, Kile brings so many stuff with it (including some necessary libraries). Just say 'yes' and we will ignore its fellow packages 'including' tetex installation. IMO, texlive is much more comprehensive than tetex.

2. Once both applications are installed in place, its time to start the configuration procedure. So open kile from
    Code:
    Applications > Office > Kile
    and go to
    Code:
    Settings > Configure Kile
    and select Build from the menu. This is where we need to put in all the info needed to link kile with texlive. All other options can be set as per your personal preferences.

Observe that
    Code:
    /usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/i386-linux/
    is the locations where all the texlive executables we need are located. [this is the case when you have accepted the default directory locations the texlive installer specified]

3. You would see several listings under 'select a tool' menu. We will go step by step. A screen shot of what I have is given as plate1.

(i) select Latex and select 'modern' (in 'select a configuration')

Now, go to 'Advanced' tab and chose 'Run outside of Kile' in the 'Type' menu.
    Come back to 'General' and copy the above directory in the command field to include /latex, which will then look like this.

Code:
    /usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/i386-linux/latex
    Note: Generally there are 3 major processes when using LaTeX:

a) compiling
    Here we use applications such as latex, pdflatex, pdftex etc to compile a simple text file with .tex extension to dvi or pdf.

So, when configuring any compiler, the source extension filed can be left out since it will look in the directory to get the .tex file.

b) conversion
    this is where we produce more useful file types such as .pdf, .ps etc.
    For this we use covertion tools. such as dvips, ps2pdf, latex2html etc...

Here you need to specify the source and target extensions. its easy.

For e.g., when configuring DVItoPS tool, use
    Code:
    /usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/i386-linux/dvips
    options
    Code:
    -o '%S.ps' '%S.dvi'
    Source: dvi
    Target : ps

In general, after you do the set up as mentioned above for 'Advanced' tab. Make sure that you have the proper source and target file extensions given. Since we are not using tetex, might need to input these here after selecting "run ouside of kile".

Note: see 'Thoughts' below.

c) view files..

now, i think, this part is self explanatory. Same logic as before.
    In some cases, as in my case, I use acroread to view pdf files. so just use the appropriate command. for e.g., you might use xpdf or acroread and these executables may not be in the locations we used for latex or pdflatex.

Thoughts: if you have installed acroread separately then u need to just use 'acroread' in the command line for ViewsPDF (if acroread works from a normal terminal). select 'run outside of kile' here too. Sometimes it could happen that you will be using xpdf and if that is included in the tetex installation then do not bother to change anything. Its just to view a pdf!!!

Samething with conversion tools.

All we are interested in is to use texlive for compiling.

4. As you might have observed there are only a few steps involved in linking kile to texlive. they are:
    to,
    -tell kile to run commands outside of kile

for that,
    -give the paths to the executables appropriately.

And if you see no place to type in the command ['command' field under 'General'] then the "run outside of kile" is not set. again, to do this, go to 'Advanced' tab- do stuff, come back to 'General' and you will see the command field.

5. finally i would suggest restart kile and then do

Code:
    Settings > system check...
    Make sure that there are no serious errors. Things should come printed in green. You can safely ignore some of the warnings (orange) as we might not be using all of the options. See what things went wrong and take any action as necessary.

Do perform a check by running some sample tex files (simple to more complicated ones) using various compiling options such as latex, pdflatex etc...

an excellent source for latex source files can be found here
    and select any paper and then chose 'other' to get the zipped source.

6. To integrate aspell into kile. [by default kile uses ispell for spell check etc.]

Code:
    Settings > Configure Kile..> Spelling > Client > Aspell.
    If you dont have aspell installed then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install aspell
    Or just use the convenient terminal window provided by kile.

Code:
    aspell check filename.tex
    and follow instructions...
    ------- -------- ------------
    Some Tips: (1) Everytime its good to clean the folder before checking new compiler. this will make sure that the commands are indeed working and generating appropriate files and not using those from the previous run.

(2)if you are getting an error on log file then it might be that the compiler is not working properly. go back to settings and see if you have given all the info correctly.

(3)look at the command window output and check that all the commands you use are from the texlive installation and not tetex.

HOWTO on using TeXmaker with TeXLive can be found here..

I hope this helps... Please feel free to put your comments/suggestions/corrections.
    Last edited by neoflight; May 11th, 2007 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: HOWTO: LaTeX [TeXLive] with Kile [gnome & ...]

no complaints so far .... i hope this is working for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I am sorry, earlier I posted a question in this section. Now I realize this in not the place to do it. My apologies for that.
    Last edited by cledezma; April 13th, 2006 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cledezma
    I am sorry, earlier I posted a question in this section. Now I realize this in not the place to do it. My apologies for that.
    you definitely can post any number of messages here exactly or closely related to the topic...this is the place.....

Beans
    Hidden!

I have some problem , with texlive installation. I do all as it is said here but i can't launch kdvi with kile ,i 've an error " can't find kpsewhich" , therefor i can launch and read a dvi when i launch it in a terminal. Other problem , it is with pdf , he said he can't find the font dictionnary, and replace by Helevetica, but can't find all font symbol .
    So i search but can't find solution, if you know how to fix it?
    Thks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pfdm
    I have some problem , with texlive installation. I do all as it is said here but i can't launch kdvi with kile ,i 've an error " can't find kpsewhich" , therefor i can launch and read a dvi when i launch it in a terminal. Other problem , it is with pdf , he said he can't find the font dictionnary, and replace by Helevetica, but can't find all font symbol .
    So i search but can't find solution, if you know how to fix it?
    Thks.
    sorry was busy with papers.....

i had the same problem with kile....i think the latest update with kile installed solves it... else ....try installing xdvi to view dvi.....it can also show u the eps figs.....i dont recommend using kdvi as it always gave me problems ......

install acroread for pdf viewer....its better than xpdf..... u can also install evince which is useful for ps and pdf viewing.....

another application u might need is 'ps2eps'.....openoffice draw is an excellent package for making schematics and print it as ps and use ps2eps to convert and use in latex......export as pdf to use with pdflatex....

all can be installed using synaptic or apt-get....try these and let me know....
    hope it helps....

Beans

Great HOWTOs. Many thanks.

Can you explain the benefits of kile/texlive vs kile/tetex vs kile/no tetex? My naive understanding is that texlive has more features than tetex.

I've used kile/tetex a bit, and it seemed to do what was needed.

Forgive all my ignorances. I'm hoping you can explain if one setup is preferable to another.
    Last edited by adamkane; April 23rd, 2006 at 04:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What we really need is a decent Gnome *TeX IDE. The Kile interface makes me cringe every time I use it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry , i have no time to test this. As soon as , i can do it , i'll post.

Quote Originally Posted by neoflight View Post
    6. To integrate aspell into kile. [by default kile uses ispell for spell check etc.]

Code:
    Settings > Configure Kile..> Spelling > Client > Aspell.
    If you dont have aspell installed then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install aspell
    Or just use the convenient terminal window provided by kile.

Code:
    aspell check filename.tex
    I'm having difficulty to make ispell/aspell work (Edgy+gnome+Kile 1.9.1). I get an error message says "I(a)spell could not be started" when I click "tools>spelling", and I couldn't find the "Spelling>Client" option in Kile 1.9.1. There are only 4 options under "Settings>Configure kile", which are "Kile","Latex","Tools" and "plugin".
    The terminal method works though.
    Any hints?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast