Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Windows Experience Index"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb "Windows Experience Index"

I just heard about the Windows Experience Index, which basically is a test that gets run in windows (as a cron job, or also from the start menu), and in about 30 seconds to a minute spits out a "score" of combined processor, graphics, IO, etc performance of the machine. I.e. if Windows is running quick and responsive on a machine, the score will be higher, whereas if its running sluggishly the score will be lower.

Neat idea, no? With all the talk of "bloat" around here, it would be neat to be able to quantify bloatedness...

Beans

Re: "Windows Experience Index"

To me everything that uses over 640kb of ram at once is bloat

In the 90's you could get quite alot out of your ram and still get alot done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    To me everything that uses over 640kb of ram at once is bloat
    I guess rendering a 3D movie is bloat to you then

Beans

or gaming...or having antivirus+endpoint protection running...
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by DrMelon View Post
    I guess rendering a 3D movie is bloat to you then
    Of course it is. Just go read the book and let your organic GPU display the graphics in your head for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    In the 90's you could get quite alot out of your ram and still get alot done.
    Yeh, one of the 286 machines at work took 29 minutes to print a one-page graph. I couldn't live with that (there are only so many lunch breaks in the day) so that's why my Dan 386DX PC had 8Mb RAM and a 2.5Mb caching hard disk controller card. And a whopping 210Mb hard disk.
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    I just heard about the Windows Experience Index, which basically is a test that gets run in windows (as a cron job, or also from the start menu), and in about 30 seconds to a minute spits out a "score" of combined processor, graphics, IO, etc performance of the machine. I.e. if Windows is running quick and responsive on a machine, the score will be higher, whereas if its running sluggishly the score will be lower.

Neat idea, no? With all the talk of "bloat" around here, it would be neat to be able to quantify bloatedness...
    At least in Vista, it's not a combined score, rather it just takes the score for the weakest major component. For instance, here's mine:

The memory, hard drive and graphics all receive the highest possible score, but because the CPU is a bottleneck on this system, the overall score is the same as the CPU's score.

It's not really a very robust benchmarking system, and it basically just tells you what the average geek already knows about his or her machine.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the screenshot. Cute how they insert ads there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    Thanks for the screenshot. Cute how they insert ads there.
    Well, "they" in this case is the OEM. Can't pin that on Microsoft.

It's just a link to Compaq's hardware sales, so you can be "certified" add-on/replacement parts.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

yes, I would consider rendering a 3d movie to be bloat. However, one mans bloat is another mans treasure

You shouldn't need 30 megabytes to view a website though

ps. don't talk to me about gaming... Pacman is still very popular today and so is Pong. Many people get as much satisfaction playing those games as they would playing some OTT super-graphical yet another 1st person shooter
    Last edited by Johnsie; March 1st, 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast