Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Open with Other Application" on folders!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation "Open with Other Application" on folders!?

Hello,

This has been annoying me for months now, so I thought I'd post it here...

Folders (when you right click in Nautilus) have the option "Open with Other Application". It allows you to choose an application to handle folders.

Unfortunately, if you are stupid enough to use it, you can NOT remove them! On normal files, there is a tab on Right Click/Properties called "Open With" which allows you to remove them.

On folders, there is no such tab (at least for me).

In summary:
    - You can add an "Open With" handler to folders, but you cannot remove it without directly editing mimeapps.list.
    - Even after removing the handlers, you still have "Open with Other Application" on the folder's context menu. Why have it there at all, if it is a trap!

There is enough junk on the context menus for files and folders - it would be great if this could be sorted out, because the option really is idiotic to have on a folder if you can't remove them later on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "Open with Other Application" on folders!?

Here is a post on your requirements.
    BTW, default application for directory opening is defined in /etc/gnome/defaults.list. look for keys x-directory/normal and inode/directory

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shafin View Post
    Here is a post on your requirements.
    BTW, default application for directory opening is defined in /etc/gnome/defaults.list. look for keys x-directory/normal and inode/directory
    Hello,

I can't seem to get anybody to grasp the problem. The original poster on the bug report faired just as poorly.

I don't want "Open With Other Application" to even be on the context menu of a folder, if you can't remove the damned associations without manually editing config files.

It seems stupid to me that that option would even be there, because there is no complimentary option to undo what you've done.

On normal files, you can right-click on them, go to Properties and use the Open With tab.

On folders, there is no Open With tab. Basically, you can make folders open with something, but you can't remove the association later.

Does nobody understand me?

Beans

I don't want "Open With Other Application" to even be on the context menu of a folder
    Well that's rather silly to suggest and does point to that you're referring to the wrong thing.

The list produced from "Open With Other Application" is not editable
    What you should be referring to is the "open with" area in the r. click menu or the "open with" sub menu.
    ( The area is limited to 3 entries, one which is reserved for "Open With Other Application", if more than 2 add. entries are created it's all moved to a sub menu.

As a by product of removing the "open with" tab on the properties of dir.'s, you can only remove entries from the "open with" area or sub menu by editing ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list or in some very rare cases also in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

If you were to file a bug/wishlist it would be to return the "open with" in properties of dir.'s for removing added associations ( or a similar means as the default for dir. shouldn't/can't be changed from the context menu

Personally I think if one knew enough to go to r. click - properties - open with, that they could just as easily go into mimeapps.list to clean up if desired
    Last edited by mc4man; March 2nd, 2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Personally I think if one knew enough to go to r. click - properties - open with, that they could just as easily go into mimeapps.list to clean up if desired
    I disagree. I think the OP has a point. Practically everyone knows about rt-click > open with for files (for files only it's common to Windows and MacOS as well), so a moderately-experienced gnome user (but one who didn't know where the config file was) might try Rt-click > open-with on a folder and be tempted to experiment, confident that they could "clean-up" afterward as they could with a filetype. Agreed this is an unlikely scenario but I think the OP has found a usability glitch if not exactly a bug.

When I right-click > open with on a folder in Karmic, I am offered Dolphin, Konqueror (yes, I installed some KDE stuff), VLC ( ), and then 'Other Application'.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Adding Totem to your folder "Open with" list generates an adhoc playlist using the directory contents. Pretty handy, IMO.

Beans

I think the OP has a point
    To a degree he does, but the solution is not to remove 'open with other application"

What's interesting is the remove command in (r. click -> open with other application) is active for userapp-XXXXXX.desktops but not .desktops from normally installed apps

Edit: in essence mimeapps.list is edited for you but only for custom definitions (userappp.desktops), it will not edit out app.desktops from added associations
    Last edited by mc4man; March 2nd, 2010 at 08:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OP, I agree, the less unneeded "Stuff" teh better - remember how abso-friggen-lutely-hard it was to edit the Win XP context menus? Jeez - I spent hours on that, for a simple enhancement; moving the "Delete" entry to the bottom!.
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    To a degree he does, but the solution is not to remove 'open with other application"

What's interesting is the remove command in (r. click -> open with other application) is active for userapp-XXXXXX.desktops but not .desktops from normally installed apps

Edit: in essence mimeapps.list is edited for you but only for custom definitions (userappp.desktops), it will not edit out app.desktops from added associations
    I'm not questioning the usefulness of the feature.

It is the inconsistency that I take exception to. I don't think anyone can possibly argue that it is acceptable to allow users to add "open with" associations but provide no way to remove them. That's all I'm trying to say. The fact that you CAN remove them on normal files, but not on folders (because the Open With tab in properties is removed), is stupid. Am I missing something here?

That is flawed logic in anyone's book. If you can add something via the GUI, you should be able to remove it again in a similar fashion.
    Last edited by cyberkilla; March 4th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cyberkilla View Post
    If you can add something via the GUI, you should be able to remove it again in a similar fashion.
    Yes, I agree. You've made the point very clearly. Have you filed a bug-report or a paper-cut?

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast