Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it legal?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: is it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    You've answered your own question.
    yeah, it does seem..i just wanted to hear other inputs from others, their own views and opinions...
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob94 View Post
    ~ here in the UK, while its of course illegal to download copyrighted material over bittorrent or whatever ~
    Are you sure?
    AFAIK the offence is distributing copyrighted material, if you don't upload you're not distributing.

Beans

I made a backup of game software when the media was damaged. It was private use only and I transferred it to my newly installed machine. My ISP warned me that I should cease, so I emailed them a copy of the game software end user agreement that enabled me to do the action. It shut them up pretty quick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How did your ISP find out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I made a backup of game software when the media was damaged. It was private use only and I transferred it to my newly installed machine. My ISP warned me that I should cease, so I emailed them a copy of the game software end user agreement that enabled me to do the action. It shut them up pretty quick.
    I wonder how your ISP would know if you copying locally unless they are spying on you?
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think they probably mean they downloaded said "backup", considering the original media was damaged, but i could be wrong.
    Even then though....just the one "backup" but yet they were on to you?? That`s some on the ball ISP.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Are you sure?
    AFAIK the offence is distributing copyrighted material, if you don't upload you're not distributing.
    i think they're different offences. afaik, so far only people who have been sharing files have been charged, but technically by ripping a cd onto your mp3 player you're breaking copyright because you're changing it. at least that used to be the case, but in reality no one is ever going to get done for having a pc full of mp3s of songs that they have bought (either as an mp3 or as a cd) unless they're sharing them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12