Thread: Verifying (and installing) mac80211 in 8.04

Beans

Question Verifying (and installing) mac80211 in 8.04

Firstly, I am reasonably technical but new to Linux. I almost guarantee there will be simple things that I don't understand. Thanks for your patience.

I am trying to get a USB wireless adaptor working with aircrack-ng and have managed to find that I should have the mac80211 drivers installed and active to support the rtl8187L and B chips. (I also need to patch them apparently, but first things first).

I am working with Ubuntu 8.04LT (I am fairly sure) and do not seem at the moment to be able to update to a more recent version on the target machine. The kernel is 2.6.24-27.

I followed instructions to blacklist the r8187 and ieee80211 modules, which seemed to go quite smoothly.

I now need to get the mac80211 module loaded, but can't find out how. The information at Aircrack-ng and related sites seems to indicate that I expect the drivers to be already in my build of Ubuntu but they do not seem to be loading. The suggestion seems to be that they will load automatically. I have found some stuff in /lib/modules/2.6.22-14 and /lib/modules/2.6.22-27, and also in /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-27 which is probably relevant but I don't know what if anything to do with it.

If anyone needs more detailed information, just tell me what you need to know, and how to get it.

Thanks

Beans

Smile Re: Verifying (and installing) mac80211 in 8.04

OK so no replies.

Lots has changed since I posted this.

Firstly, I found out that the reason I couldn't install Ubuntu 9.10 was a faulty CD Drive. (Didn't get any relevant errors just a comment that no suitable kernel was available to perform the install after the install environment loaded, from CD).

Secondly I found that the mac80211 support is apparently not useful in 8.04 and earlier, so a good thing that I managed to install 9.10.

Now I have at least one USB wireless adapter working just fine for normal networking and just have to figure out why it doesn't work at all for the aircrack-ng injection test. I think I have to patch the driver, but can't quite seem to find out how. Also there are at possibly three patches depending on version but I don't know if it's the kernel version or some other version.

If anyone does happen to have any information I would be interested, but I consider this thread closed.