Thread: External Drive problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

External Drive problems

Hey Im trying to transfer some of my files on my external hard drive but I am not able to access some seemingly random folders because I don't have permission. I think that my file system is fat32 if that helps at all. I have tried chown and chmod but to zero avail. please help me with this problem thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: External Drive problems

FAT32 shouldn't store user or group privileges.

Unmount the drive, and run:
    fdisk -l
    and paste the results here (or just figure out if it is really a FAT32 drive)
    Last edited by karatedog; March 1st, 2010 at 02:37 AM.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: External Drive problems

Quote Originally Posted by charlton2142 View Post
    Hey Im trying to transfer some of my files on my external hard drive but I am not able to access some seemingly random folders because I don't have permission. I think that my file system is fat32 if that helps at all. I have tried chown and chmod but to zero avail. please help me with this problem thanks
    1 - Go to Terminal, copy & paste this command: gksudo nautilus that will open Terminal as root

2 - Navigate to your folder/file/drive, Right Click, select the Permissions tab

3 - Change the Owner drop-down menu to your name, then change Folder Access to Create & Delete Files, then File Access to Read & Write, then Group to your name, Folder Access to Create & Delete Files, File Access to Read & Write then click Apply Permissions To Enclosed Files.

You will now have full access to your folder/file/drive.