Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The lack of Webcam Chat Soft for Linux is frustating.

Beans

The lack of Webcam Chat Soft for Linux is frustating.

Seriously guys one of the things that I eventually use Windows for is Webcam chat. Even through we have the Webcam working, we dont have any 'decent' application to use it. I did a extensively test on three computers a Desktop (Custom / Extern WC), Netbook (HP-Mini / Internal WC) and Notebook (Toshiba Satellite / Internal WC) ALL with different Webcams models. Let's start the test with the following candidates:

1 - Skype
    Well the one that 'works' best is a prop software. Skype for Linux is currently on VERSION 2.1.0.81 while for Windows it's on VERSION 4.2.0.152.
    Not only that the Linux version is horribly, most of the times the sound is cutting and the Webcam JUST stops when it wants. TO COMPLETE, the Webcam moves at the coolest 1fpm, 1 frame per minute, it's bizarre.

2 - Empathy [GTalk only]
    The webcam has NEVER worked with me on Empathy, and I'm really seriously. It just don't work.

3 - Ekiga
    This is laughable. Seriously I had to go to the dev IRC channel to get the program to at least 'work'. It seems that they hard coded the size of the data pkg larger than expected, so thats why it's unusable.

4 - AMSN and Emesene
    Don't work Period. I have try extensively with different contacts and all failed. All get a black screen.

Conclusion:
    Most of the time ppl have said to me that 'Webcam' is irrelevant. That is, they don't want/don't know how to fix the problem and are trying to change something thats REALLY COMMON on the desktop world.

How can I tell my mother that she can't use here webcam on her reunions. How can We expected desktop users to use Linux if we can't handle this basic stuff?

Beans

Re: The lack of Webcam Chat Soft for Linux is frustating.

I just want to ask you one question, if your webcam had not worked in Windows would you have blamed Microsoft?
    I doubt it.
    Just because these don't work for you doesn't mean they don't work at all, most people have perfect functionality with these apps.
    Sorry it doesn't help your problem but perhaps use the support forum for guidance.

Beans

Well in all of my three pcs it works 100% on Windows. And in my university all of my colleagues that use Linux none of them have a workable webcam under Linux. So after seeing more than 30+ computer and none of a working webcam soft I can affirm and say that It just doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: The lack of Webcam Chat Soft for Linux is frustating.

Gotta take the babby to bed and read her a bedtime story. After that I will return to troubleshoot your problem.

I use Ekiga and it works just swell.
    Eternally confused.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markinf View Post
    Well in all of my three pcs it works 100% on Windows. And in my university all of my colleagues that use Linux none of them have a workable webcam under Linux. So after seeing more than 30+ computer and none of a working webcam soft I can affirm and say that It just doesn't work
    Well before you give up on Linux I think I should add that I have:
    Desktop with a Microsoft Lifecam cinema (worked out of the box with 720p recording and microphone).
    Acer Aspire one, 9inch model - worked out of the box.
    Macbook Pro - Didn't work out of the box but using a guide eventually managed to get it working.

If you are having too many problems just go with a Lifecam Cinema, very good and works well.
    What model webcam do you have at the moment? What version of Ubuntu are you running?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ekiga works for me too, but I have had trouble with codecs. It all depends on what the client at the other end can support. If its Ekiga to Ekiga with the same codecs at each end (most of the decent ones aren't available in ffmpeg since Jaunty) then fine, otherwise you may have trouble. But make sure your webcam is definitely working happily in linux, before blaming the application software. Again Ekiga should allow you to see a preview of your webcam, once it is set up (the wizard is very comprehensive and easy to follow). Oh and the Ekiga package for Karmic definitely works out of the box.
    "Answers satisfy the mind, mysteries capture the heart." -- David Gate

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For Yahoo IM webchat, Gyache works for me: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=773802

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: The lack of Webcam Chat Soft for Linux is frustating.

Back. Now is the problem specifically about the webcam, or about the chat software?

If you have a problem with your camera post detailed info about the camera and your system (if we're talking about a portable computer).

If the problem is not with the camera (camera works, but you just can't initiate calls) please post more info on your network set up and if possible, the call recipients network set up.

The fact that your post is about the applications implies that the web cam is working, but you are having trouble making it work on the listed client programs.
    Eternally confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Works just fine for me. At least in aMSN. I haven't tried any other ones.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by markinf View Post
    2 - Empathy [GTalk only]
    The webcam has NEVER worked with me on Empathy, and I'm really seriously. It just don't work.
    If you're okay breaking the messaging menu integration, the latest Empathy (there's a PPA for latest Telepathy and Empathy) which will ship in Lucid does a way better job with webcam stuff than what is in Karmic. It even does it for MSN, thanks to the new Papyon library

As for protocol, the best one for webcam use, if you can convince everyone you know, is going to be XMPP through Jabber.org. (Google Talk does some stuff a tad differently which can cause issues, and Facebook doesn't do webcam stuff).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast