Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhythmbox not writing playlist to iPod

Beans

Re: Rhythmbox not writing playlist to iPod

MikeInPdx,

That worked perfectly...funny how i was able to make a playlist awhile back and didn't realize what i did to have it work....then couldn't get it to create playlists again bc i forgot what i did. Looks like ejecting the drive before rythmbox is shut down (Quit) does not keep the playlist.

Thanks for Posting !! Fixed my issue...80gig classic...

Beans

Wink Re: Rhythmbox not writing playlist to iPod

Hi,

I have an ipod as well and have done a good deal of looking into this topic. I have heard of this same error before but I don't know how to fix it. However, a general consensus of what I've read says to use amarok. I tried amarok out and I really like it. It's really easy to keep your music files organized as well. I haven't yet tried it with my ipod but from what I've heard from other people it works great with ipods. Hope this is helpful.

Peace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInPdx View Post
    Hello, I'm new here, but I found a technique somewhere online (wish I remembered where???) that has been working to get playlists onto my ipod in Rhythmbox.

I create the playlists, and then I quit Rhythmbox altogether. Then I right click on my ipod on the desktop, and choose "Safely Remove Drive/Device"

Once the ipod updates, I have the playlists I created. Haven't tried it with my Classic, but it works like a charm on my Nano 4th generation.

Hope this helps,
    Mike
    It works with Classic 160! Thanks, Mike.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

thanks Mike. Worked for me too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Rhythmbox not writing playlist to iPod

I don't know if this has been fixed for you guys. If not, I'll tell you how I do it.

The way it works for me it's to rename after the playlist has files in it. I don't know if it'll make a different to you but it works for me now in my ipod touch, no need to unmounting, I'm using ubuntu 10.04.

What I do is, plug my ipod touch and click on start up with Rythmbox. Once the ipod is shown, I transfer files from pc to ipod, and keep an eye on ipod, it shows synchronizing, now and then. After that I create a new playlist, and I do not rename, just, drag the new files to new playlist, after files are shown in new playlist, synchronizing is shown again, after like 15 seconds or so, it's not immediate. After that I can see new playlist on ipod with music. Then I rename to whatever name on Rhythmbox and wait for another 15 seconds again and synchronizing is shown again. Go back to the ipod and there it is. To me it's fixed now.

I hope it works for some as it has for me.

Beans

This worked for me

What I do is, plug my ipod touch and click on start up with Rythmbox. Once the ipod is shown, I transfer files from pc to ipod, and keep an eye on ipod, it shows synchronizing, now and then. After that I create a new playlist, and I do not rename, just, drag the new files to new playlist, after files are shown in new playlist, synchronizing is shown again, after like 15 seconds or so, it's not immediate. After that I can see new playlist on ipod with music. Then I rename to whatever name on Rhythmbox and wait for another 15 seconds again and synchronizing is shown again. Go back to the ipod and there it is.
    The first time I tried using Ubuntu installed on a macbook. The mac froze and the ipod was corrupted. It showed no music was on it, but it was. I had to install itunes 9 on virtualbox windows XP to sync. I chose to not erase and it began to sync. Afterwards the missing music was there.

For my second try I used the instructions above on Ubuntu on a different PC it worked.
    Are You the Ubuntu Guru?
    "By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.”
    ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was finally able to create a new playlist on my 5th generation ipod classic through Rhythmbox. This is what worked for me:
    1. Connect ipod, with Rhythmbox off
    2. Say yes to open Rhythmbox
    3. Right click on the ipod within Rhythmbox, and select New Playlist
    4. Add songs from the ipod library to the new ipod playlist
    5. Quit Rhythmbox
    6. Right-click the ipod on the desktop and click "Safely Remove"

However, this only creates the playlist on the ipod. Is there a way to copy that playlist to Rhythmbox, or better yet to create the playlist in Rhythmbox and then copy that to the ipod?

Beans

Try the script provided here with rhythmbox:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12475542

It prompts you for all your rhythmbox playlists and lets you pick which ones to sync. Moves the files over. Creates a playlist on the device as well. It is a sync not a copy -- so other music files on your device on the Music folder get removed.

Could not be any easier. After many hours of searching that did the trick for me. Wish it was publicised more so that I did not have to waste that much time.

You can ignore managing your device in rhythmbox and just sync the playlists you want from the main rhythmbox section

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12